Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help please my Sump issue needs to get resolved

Snapper

I am trying to order my overflow box/bulkheads to start drilling my 40B that will have a 20Long sump/fuge but whoever i speak to gives me a different idea in terms of my bulkhead/returns/etc

For instance, I personally want to run a Herbie, 2 drains 1 return, problem is, Glass-holes.com doesn't sell an overflow box with 2 holes, so its as if i can't run this setup unless i custom make an overflow box which i can't.

Than they say, run 2 returns with a drain that is 1.5 inches Bulkhead wise. Problem with this is 1) It can be loud 2) it isn't safe in terms of a snail clogging it as it has 1 drain.

If I go with 1 drain, it would need to have a 1.5" bulkhead with 2-3/4" returns on the sides right?

If go with a herbie, it would need 2-1" drains with 1-3/4" return on the side?

How can i find out which route to tank so i can order my equipment. I know 1 way to run it is to have a herbie drain the back up to come over the rim with the pipe instead of an overflow box but i don't want any messy looks like that.

You guys build tanks left and right for years and are experts i'm sure osmoene can chime in with help.

I have seen people use both holes for the herbie drain then they come over the back of the tank with the return. I would just run 1 drain with 1 return. I have been doing this for years on 5 different tanks. There are many ways to quiet a drain. You can use a durso or maggie muffler. There are tons of videos on youtube showing how to quiet the overflow drain. Most of the times drains are noisey because people are running to powerful of a return pump. That is where you get the crashing noise. I also use power heads for flow my return pumps are always undersized for my tanks.

so should i look for a return pump that is below 550gph?

reasons why i don't want to go over the top is so it looks a bit clear via the drilling method even if it is 1 pipe.

disaster999

ive use the herbie method with one drain. been using that for a few years now and so far dont have any problems or issues. you do need a gate valve or a high quality valve that allows fine adjustments instead of the cheap globe valves they sell in home depot. those are a pain to adjust and you either have it flowing too fast and sucking in air, or not fast enough and overfills your tank

Why do I need a gate valve? Isn't that thing nearly $40 bucks?

i thought herbie was iwht 2 drains, not 2 returns.

so should i look for a return pump that is below 550gph?

reasons why i don't want to go over the top is so it looks a bit clear via the drilling method even if it is 1 pipe.

I was advised by one long-term reefer that the "magic number" for the rate at which water is returned to the display is 6.1 times the display volume. I have no idea where that number came from.

You don't want water moving too fast through your sump, as you want to ensure that the water is properly filtered. If the water is screaming through there it won't have adequate exposure to your rock/skimmer/reactors/whatever else you're using.

The rest of the flow in your display will come from your powerhead(s).

My pump is 3/4", which I split into two 1/2" lines. The two 1/2" lines are then each spilt again inside the display, so I have a total of four return nozzles.

You should be able to see the loc-line and nozzles in this photo:

IMG-20120704-00014.jpg

It works well for me.

chrssprngs
I have seen people use both holes for the herbie drain then they come over the back of the tank with the return. I would just run 1 drain with 1 return. I have been doing this for years on 5 different tanks. There are many ways to quiet a drain. You can use a durso or maggie muffler. There are tons of videos on youtube showing how to quiet the overflow drain. Most of the times drains are noisey because people are running to powerful of a return pump. That is where you get the crashing noise. I also use power heads for flow my return pumps are always undersized for my tanks.

+1

Do you have 1 drain? So your return lines are 1/2"? What returb pump

Yup. One drain: the glass holes 700 gph. The overflow is too noisy as far as I'm concerned, and I wouldn't use it again (without some sort of modification to quiet it).

Eheim compact 2000 return pump.

Yup. One drain: the glass holes 700 gph. The overflow is too noisy as far as I'm concerned, and I wouldn't use it again (without some sort of modification to quiet it).

Eheim compact 2000 return pump.

what do you recommend instead of the glass holes?

What is your opinion on the EC2000 ?

Checkout my 40b thread, same setup as you. I have the 700GPH and it's dead silent.. I have some filter floss in it that cuts down the noise considerably.

How did u get 2 holes in your overflow?

And u went 4 holes or 3 at the end? One pic sketch shows 4.

How is the RP? Quiet or loud and hot?

Enigma can you post a picture of your piping?

What would you use next time instead of glass-holes? they are highly regarded by reefers.

PS: I have decded to roll with the Eheim Compact series, can't decide on 2000 or 3000 though.

Archived