Top Shelf Aquatics

July 2012 Featured Reef - MedRed

Christopher Marks

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nanolutionary

Hey medRed for $1599 and the cost it'd take to lug this thing on a ship to England it had better be as a quiet as a mouse?

If it is - SOLD!

Fab corals BTW love it!

Hey medRed for $1599 and the cost it'd take to lug this thing on a ship to England it had better be as a quiet as a mouse?

If it is - SOLD!

Fab corals BTW love it!

ha ha. thank you, tlagden!

A big congrats to you :) It's an amazing tank for sure. My brother logs in here now and again and twice I've gotten a text from him telling me how awesome your tank is!!!!!!

Flying Bones

I can say with certainty that this tank has me looking at lots of things harder than ever. First, I love the 60G Cube. Next I love love the gladiator pair. Next I love the Helfrichi pair. I hope when I buy a house to build a tank similar to this! Every detail to perfection! I guess I better go tend to my algae...

Do you have any pictures of the initial scape before adding your coral pieces? I'd love to figure out what structure you used for such a tall branching look while keeping it solid and stable at the base.

A big congrats to you :) It's an amazing tank for sure. My brother logs in here now and again and twice I've gotten a text from him telling me how awesome your tank is!!!!!!

Ha ha... that's awesome! Thank you and tell him thank you for me as well!

I can say with certainty that this tank has me looking at lots of things harder than ever. First, I love the 60G Cube. Next I love love the gladiator pair. Next I love the Helfrichi pair. I hope when I buy a house to build a tank similar to this! Every detail to perfection! I guess I better go tend to my algae...

Thank you Mr. Bones. There are definitely those tanks that put ideas in our heads. I've seen a tank that has given me an idea for my next tank. Now I just need to make the decision if the time is now.

Do you have any pictures of the initial scape before adding your coral pieces? I'd love to figure out what structure you used for such a tall branching look while keeping it solid and stable at the base.

Hi, iDerek. I was pretty bad about taking pictures of the rock work. I made 3 towers that could stand on their own. I drilled holes in the rock and used fiberglass rods and epoxy to connect the rocks.

akba5e.jpg

35ic4ky.jpg

For me personally, this is the most beautiful, well thought out, well equipped and excellently aquascaped tank either on here or really any other site I've come across. I'm particularly in love with that aquascape, and most likely, when I upgrade to a large cube some time next year, I will be trying to copy that same thing you did. I love the way you've sectioned certain corals. The whole thing is just exquisite.

For me personally, this is the most beautiful, well thought out, well equipped and excellently aquascaped tank either on here or really any other site I've come across. I'm particularly in love with that aquascape, and most likely, when I upgrade to a large cube some time next year, I will be trying to copy that same thing you did. I love the way you've sectioned certain corals. The whole thing is just exquisite.

I'm truly flatters visuvius! Thank you so much for the kind words!

This is, honestly, the best tank I have seen. The flawless and uncluttered sandbed combined with the rock or corals is amazing.

This is, honestly, the best tank I have seen. The flawless and uncluttered sandbed combined with the rock or corals is amazing.

Thank you so much! I'm glad you like the look I was going for.

Wow, The great nano god comes to nano reef.com.

Thank you, but I'm just an average Joe just trying to make my tank look the way I want it to.

I've been reading and reading but I might have passed over it, what kind of salt do you use for your water? Of course it goes without saying that your tank is beautiful!

I've been reading and reading but I might have passed over it, what kind of salt do you use for your water? Of course it goes without saying that your tank is beautiful!

Thank you! I use aquvitro Salinity. It's Seachem's specialty reef salt that can only be ordered by brick and mortar retailers.

I can't stop looking at your tank.... freaking amazing. Not sure if this has been asked... but what product do you use to get your coral to stick to your rockwork. In particular your zoa's, mine are pita to apply to the rockwork and usually fall off. Thanks in advance.

I can't stop looking at your tank.... freaking amazing. Not sure if this has been asked... but what product do you use to get your coral to stick to your rockwork. In particular your zoa's, mine are pita to apply to the rockwork and usually fall off. Thanks in advance.

Thank you BusterDB! I use the Stevie T method with JB Waterweld from home depot and Locktite superglue gel

• 4 weeks later...

Great tank man, read your thread front to back. Putting my own 60g together soon and your work is a big inspiration. Thank you and happy reefing. :D

Awesome info, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks to you and StevieT.

You're welcome!

Great tank man, read your thread front to back. Putting my own 60g together soon and your work is a big inspiration. Thank you and happy reefing. :D

Thank you! Good luck on your new 60 and make sure you post up a build thread!

MedRed,

I would call your tank inspirational. I’m 3 months into my 1st marine tanks with a few corals. My biggest challenge is space to grow after adding my live rock. Not much empty space on the bottom. Purchased cured live rock from a local enthusiast so I wasn’t able to layout my scape on a table beforehand.

Your tank is 60 gallons, yet that doesn’t look like 60 lbs of rock? Are you running with less than 1lbs of rock for every gallon of water? I’m wondering if I can slowly back out some rock for to increase space on the sand bed.

Congrats on a fantastic tank.

MedRed,

I would call your tank inspirational. I’m 3 months into my 1st marine tanks with a few corals. My biggest challenge is space to grow after adding my live rock. Not much empty space on the bottom. Purchased cured live rock from a local enthusiast so I wasn’t able to layout my scape on a table beforehand.

Your tank is 60 gallons, yet that doesn’t look like 60 lbs of rock? Are you running with less than 1lbs of rock for every gallon of water? I’m wondering if I can slowly back out some rock for to increase space on the sand bed.

Congrats on a fantastic tank.

Thank you very much Mike in Mass! I'm running around 20 something lbs of LR. My personal opinion is that porosity and surface area are more important than the weight of the rock. I don't think you'll have a problem at all of you slowly back out some rock.

Archived