Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I'm so frustrated I want to scream!

lizbeth

I'm trying to stack the rock in the 20. My hands are wrinked and raw!

None of the pieces of rock fit together! I've got this 10 lb. piece that looks like a V shaped "chair" (great for corals!) but none of the other pieces fit properly under it to make a cave. I'm trying really hard not to smash a hitch hiker polyp. :sigh:

The 5 gallon was so much easier, the pieces just fell together.

Anybody else have this problem sitting up the rock work? Anybody want to come over and help. ;)

Guest AbSoluTc

Hehe - Been there :)

Sounds like your not following the natural curves of the rocks.  Let them fall into place.  Put the V flat so the opening is to you and build around it and on top.

Or get some super glue or bubble gum :)

I think the solutin might be a couple of stiff drinks (being 68 drinking is legal :) ) and then some bubblegum. I'm seriously thinking about taking a hammer to a couple of pieces!

Really, I'm going to put on some latex glove and go at it again after dinner.

Rock pics....ummm...ok.

Chair rock;

chairrock.JPG

Other rocks;

rightrocks.JPG

Whole tank;

allrocks.JPG

They are all cover with silt and leaning against the the back. This tank set up will be viewed from three sides(two long and the right sde in the pics).

I'm not 68 yet, just a joke between Absolutc and myself.

why dont you turn the rock on top over and try to balance it between the other two rocks.

I dont see anything wrong with what u have set up so far.

Guest AbSoluTc

The rock with the dot, turn it left and conect it to the "chair" rock to create a moon shape.  The red line indicates the form.    

chairrock.jpg

Red dot rock in this picture, move left just after and next to the "joint" you just made with the rocks in the above picture - adjust to taste.  IMO - remove the yellow dot rock.  It has bad form and takes up valuable space.  Blue dot rock is hard to explain.  Place it over the gap from pic 1 and rest it on the "chair" rock and on yellow dot rock if needed.  Create a cave either at the top or in the crescent of the moon .  

I hope you understand :P

Kris

PS -  I like how you said "not yet" :D hehe

rightrocks.jpg

Your 68...? That's awesome!! I understood everything AbSoluTc said except for the red dot in the 2nd photo... But after looking at the photos, I agree, turn the red dot rock in the 1st photo, remove the yellow dot rock and turn the blue dot rock in the 2nd photo (it looks so unnatural the position it's in...). But besides those 3 moves, everything else looks fine the way it is.

(Edited by My Alife 7 at 8:42 pm on June 21, 2002)

I think I've given up on the idea of getting the chair rock higher. It's just too big and heavy to stack. So I think I'm going to work on stacking the others.

Here's a pic of the yellow dot rock, it has some cool holes and a brown polyp on it. It has to stay.

polyprock.JPG

Thanks guys you've helped me look at options!

No, I'm not 68 yet. It's true I'm not.

I like the rock the first picture i'd that the small middle rock out or try 2 see if it would reach  across the top if u fliped it sides ways =0 ... Just how i think i'd like it =) but its up 2 u

In the first set of pics it's just flung in there to keep it wet. It's all leaning against the glass. I've messed with it somemore and still have no answer but some ideas are forming. I'm going to sleep on it and try again tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get it figured out. :)

Christopher Marks

It's good to have a general shape in mind when you get started.  Then work until you get 2-3 rocks fit together that follow your goal, then sit down and look at it for 10 minutes while drinking diet coke or whatever you like.  Most importantly...if you get tired of it, just take a break.  I've never had a good layout done when I'm made at the rocks LOL

Wow! 68 huh? That's really, really old! (JUST KIDDING) LOL!!

Anyway, I like the rocks the way you have them except for the blue dot one. Either laying it down on it's side or placing it near the powerhead on the right side is what I would try.

BTW, I like the chair rock!! It looks like you got some very nice pieces!!!

Archived