Pod Your Reef

Glofish clowns

Seamonkey84

Seamonkey84

I may be speaking blasphemy, but I would love to have a phosorecent clown under my actinic/moonlights along with all he other glowing corals. I've emailed the glofish customer service and they say they have no plans in doing such, though they recently expanded to white skirt tetras as well. But am I the only nut that would want the ultimate "designer" clown that looks something like the shopped image that nano reefer "IIX" has for his signature? I can't get the image of a glowing clown fish hosting in a RBTA anemone out of my head. Tell me I'm not alone! Let our desires be heard!

TeflonTomDosh
I think that those Glofish people commit animal cruelty on multiple levels and would never support them...

I think it's ok as long as they are tank bred fish, vs wild caught. JMO tho.

altolamprologus

Lol it's not exactly easy to create glowing fish. Let me see you insert the glowing gene of a jellyfish into the DNA of a clownfish then selectively breed them over many generations to keep the gene. That's why they started with danios, they breed faster than guppies. Clownfish would take a couple decades

Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with animal cruelty because the clowns don't know the difference. What IS a problem though is that they would be playing GOD and changing a life form that has evolved in a particular way for a reason. First it starts with salmon then guppies then clowns then dogs then people. Eventually evolution plays no role and you end up with unfit individuals that cannot compete with anything. They eventually find a way out of captivity and breed naturally upsetting the whole species. Take gmo Atlantic Salmon for instance. They are crashing multiple chinook salmon populations in the pacific because they are genetically modified to grow fast and get bigger.

Don't mean to rain on your parade though. Sorry for a rant. It would be cool to have. The consequences are just too large IMO

Edited by najluni15

People have been selectively breeding things for AGES. Just look at goldfish and dogs. I see this as no different.

I have seen they have expanded to angelfish, convicts and white skirt tetras.

Check this out

mice.jpg

Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with animal cruelty because the clowns don't know the difference. What IS a problem though is that they would be playing GOD and changing a life form that has evolved in a particular way for a reason. First it starts with salmon then guppies then clowns then dogs then people. Eventually evolution plays no role and you end up with unfit individuals that cannot compete with anything. They eventually find a way out of captivity and breed naturally upsetting the whole species. Take gmo Atlantic Salmon for instance. They are crashing multiple chinook salmon populations in the pacific because they are genetically modified to grow fast and get bigger.

Don't mean to rain on your parade though. Sorry for a rant. It would be cool to have. The consequences are just too large IMO

Have you ever heard of designer breeds or artificial insemination? People stir their finger in genetics big pot everyday through selective breeding. Shooting them up to alter the DNA I just a shortcut in regards to most aspects, just not the "glowing"

This is all true. I personally think there is a difference between selectively breeding or modifying domestic animals (dogs horses etc) compared with wild animals (salmon clownfish). If you can be sure that they would not be freed then I don't see a problem with it and also ensure if they did escape that they didn't survive (like being lime green) then its not a problem. I had just read an article about the salmon and it's pretty disturbing. But maybe it's an extreme example. I don't think lime green and glowing fish would stand a chance surviving.

True. It would definitely make an impact on nature if it was released, but there are bio ilumenescent fish along with brightly colored fish already. Chances are that particular fish would be eaten quickly as it sticks out, or maybe fish would see it as a warning and leave it alone, allowing it to breed and multiply. Maybe other clowns would refuse to go near it. Who knows? I think your right in that it SHOULD be compared to dogs. There are feral dogs and cats everywhere, to the point of free spay/ neutering for all wild "domesticated" cats in some places. The only difference is that the people spending big bucks on a designer breed dog or cat isn't going to dump them somewhere, just like people with 1200 dollar clownfish aren't going to throw them into the ocean. (hopefully). I mean, you never see a wild pack of labadoodles roaming around, right?

As long as its controlled somewhat. Imagine diving somewhere on a reef and seeing a line Green glowing clown in a rbta. It would be pretty cool! Like avatar or something. I guess being glow In the dark wouldn't give them a leg up on natural species.

It's all speculation. We will never know for sure what would happen until it happens, and hopefully I never will.

Fun fact: rbta's generally do not host clownfish in the ocean.

This is all true. I personally think there is a difference between selectively breeding or modifying domestic animals (dogs horses etc) compared with wild animals (salmon clownfish). If you can be sure that they would not be freed then I don't see a problem with it and also ensure if they did escape that they didn't survive (like being lime green) then its not a problem. I had just read an article about the salmon and it's pretty disturbing. But maybe it's an extreme example. I don't think lime green and glowing fish would stand a chance surviving.

Let's not forget that Dogs were the first animals to be selectively bred/domesticated. So...they were wild at one point (wolves).

I agree that it would be cool, however I think GMOs are playing God and mother nature will always prevail.

Rollermonkey

Blech. Glofish are ugly. Why would you want to do something like that to a fish that's quite attractive the way it is?

Meh, I guess it's like people who like Chihuahuas. Completely ugly and completely unlike the natural form of a dog, but some people like them.

No accounting for taste.

Seamonkey84

I wouldn't consider it cruel, as they are genetically modified instead of colored through dying. I also have an axolotl that has the green florescent protein spliced in. Anyway, didn't want to start a religious discussion. I just want a "fish nightlight" Lol

bhskicker18
I mean, you never see a wild pack of labadoodles roaming around, right?

Um, I can honestly say I have. A pack of 3. Benefits of living in Alabama....... Roll Tide

slickwill613
Um, I can honestly say I have. A pack of 3. Benefits of living in Alabama....... Roll Tide
Yeah... I'm currently working in Opelika, truly the armpit of America.
  • 5 months later...

I don't think it's that big a moral issue considering that people selectively breed clownfish and other animals anyways. Now if it was a more drastic change, then yeah that might be kinda screwed up, but making them glow wouldn't mean crap. And also, if they ever got releashed in the wild they would probably just get eaten so that wouldn't matter. The fast growing salmon however is a terrible, terrible idea.

RayWhisperer

People have been doing this stuff for a long time. It's just like cattle, pigs, cats and dogs, though they have eliminated the selective breeding part of it.

As for the salmon, AFAIK, they are duploids or triploids. Which means they are sterile, or the spawn is weak enough to be considered not viable. While I agree, they should not be released into wild habitat, it's been done for many years now. Besides, farming of salmon is degrading costal habitat and probably every bit as harmful to local wild stock.

For anyone who lives in areas where trout are released into local forest preserve ponds and streams. Those are duploid trout. Ever go to the golf course and see the giant grass carp? Those are duploid carp. Hell, I read about a program in Ohio with triploid muskie. Though they never released those into Ohio lakes due to the "impressive" (for lack of a better word) size they attained.

Also, I wouldn't discount the idea of seeing glofish clowns altogether. They have expanded into all kinds of different fish, last I heard. Roumor mill is they will be releasing glow oscars for sale soon.

This isn't Jurassic park... I wouldn't be worried about playing god jeff goldblum.

While I don't find this type of fish aesthetically pleasing if people like it I see no problem with it. Anything that makes people buy more aqua cultured fish is a win win imo.

gulfsurfer101

F*ckjess! I love oscars. I had one when I was 14 and used to feed it live feeders, lizards cheeto's you name it. It was awesome. If they do I will aclimate one to full marine and keep it in my current set up, f*** what anybody says!

I'm still hoping that they will do something with clowns, as it only seems right since we already use actinics and moonlights in our tanks. My rbta already glows quite a bit, so I want a fish I can see as well hehe

• 7 years later...

There is a salt water fluorescent fish but it's only available in China. I have hit a wall (...a great wall) trying to find information about them or the ability to ship to the U.S.