Cultivated Reef

Shane's 40g Mixed Reef Tank Journal (with HD video)

zanoshano

Cleaned the tank today and the corals were all opened up nicely so I decided to grab some shots of the corals =]

Pink Pocillopora

DSC00009.jpg

Sunset Monti

DSC00023.jpg

Montipora Digitata

DSC00025.jpg

Blastomussa

DSC00010-1.jpg

Red Blastos

DSC00022.jpg

Montipora caprocornis - New growth

DSC00017.jpg

Hammer Coral

DSC00014.jpg

Fungia Plate

DSC00011-1.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just added a bicolor blenny last night and he is TEARING UP my montiporas! Even saw him nipping the pocillopora a bit. Don't know how i would even go about getting him out, he hides within the rocks so well. Any ideas?

So my green acropora (as pictured below) had started to brown out from the base a couple weeks ago. Recently, it started the recede from the bottom as well.

DSC02282.jpg

In an attempt to save some of it, I chopped off the tips of the healthier branches and super glued them to some rocks in different ares in the tank.

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

So it's been a while since I gave an update...Been a hectic couple of weeks. Fragged an acro that had started to brown out/die off in the middle, the frags are doing well. Had an issue with my HOB fuge. MY pump feeding the fuge because disconnected to the tube and stopped feeding the tank. My heater then proceeded to cook my fuge, i woke up in the morning and my fuge water was over 90 degrees! Decided to tear down the fuge, clean it out and start over. Got some miracle mud on the way, I really need to get a protein skimmer though. Some of my SPS (mainly montis) have started looking stressed lately. My red capricornis is stuck in an area of the tank that needs more flow, unfortunately i cant position any power heads in that direction that would make it look ridiculous... My encrusting motis arent making a very good comeback, due to the stress put on them by the blenny nipping the polyps, and the recent water wuality issues. I made a mistake by letting my MG drop, I hadn't been dosing it or keeping track of it the way I have been my alk and CA. Got a new test kit and started dosing it, hopefully I can get all of my levels stable and corals make a comeback. My GSP colony is also in a horrible spot, stinging everything. I need to upgrade, place some of my SPS in better positions in the new tank and give things more room to grow out. I need an external sump/fuge and a skimmer...I'm gonna start looking.

Monti dieing off...

DSC00156.jpg

Capricornis color has really faded over the past couple weeks, and a few spots have bleached. I think it is due to lack of water movement

DSC00157.jpg

New Lepastrea Colony =]

DSC00161.jpg

Pink Millie Frag

DSC00164.jpg

Decided it was time for an upgrade, picked this 90g up on CL a couple days ago. Has a matching canopy (not pictured here) and dual 250w halides, not sure if I'm going to stick with them. No time table yet for when the tank will be set up but I'm thinking a couple of months. Want to get it set up and stabilized before I move everything over from the 40g (which is packed!)

Anyway, here are some pics of the tank. I'll get keep you guys posted as I set up the filtration and get it cleaned up and ready to go.

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00417.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00418-1.jpg

DSC00416.jpg

I'm pretty excited for the project, a little intimidated as well. Never had a tank this big before.

Here are some pics of my recent additions and an updated FTS =]

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00305.jpg

DSC00406-1.jpg

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what kind of LED lights to go with for the 90g.

I've been looking at the Kessil A350 Wides, but I kind of want something with an automated dimming feature to mimic sunrise and sunset. I really like how small these lights are and how they can be hung or mounted very easily, brightness is also very good, just would kind of like something the the auto dim feature.

Checked out the radion xr30's but that would cost be about 1500 bucks to cover the whole tank. That's a little out of my budget. Found some good looking fixtures on ebay with programmable dimming LEDs, a 48" w/ 3w leds that looked great on paper, just don't know how reliable those ebay brands are.

Anybody have any suggestions for a 48" reliable led fixture for my tank under 1000$?

Any advice is really appreciated!

Updated FTS...things settling in. Went on vaca and a few instances or corals stinging each other, trimmed a few things back and this is how it looks:

DSC02227.jpg

What coral is that on the back wall on the left?

• 3 months later...
Damn...This forum is dead. Guess I'm wasting my time posting here.

your corals will not look as nice as they are now especial those acans if you switch to LED.

LED can change the color of those acans and photo looks horrible under LED

Your tank looks amazing dude.

As for LED's. Im not convinced with them yet. I know for most LPS they are fine, but for Acans, I've seen so many posts saying the Acans all turn orange/red.

I use T5/LED currently. I wont be converting to full LED anytime soon. I still think T5's are the best option for most tanks. T5+MH is best, but due to heat issues, a 6 or 8 tube T5 unit cant be beat for growth and colour of corals.

Archived