inTank Media Baskets

I Hate Petland!!!!

Fender963

Okay does this look like aiptasia????

Because the sign said it was rock anenome!!! IF it does I think I will have commit some kind of violent crime!!!

Picture 1

Picture 2

Kyle

P.S. Sorry for the crap pics!!!

It does look like an Aiptasia.

Not to worry. They are faily easy to kill with kalk paste. The spot this one is seems like a good place for attack.

Make a kalk paste--has to be thick.

Syringe it all up, but no more than 2-3mls and then turn off all the pumps in the tank. Insert the syring into the tank and take the syringe tip as close to the Aiptasia mouth as possile. This large one is easier to tackle. Squirt right into its mouth. 1.5mls or so should be enough to cover its whole mouth. It will possibly shrink back into a hole or crevice, with whats left, squirt right over the hole or crevice. That should do for that day.

You probably wont be able to kill it in one go, so try again when it reappears.

The other thing is, as this is a new setup, and you dont have corals set on the rock etc, you might try taking the rock and and plugging the whole or crevice the Aiptasia hides in. If its got no other way out then it will definately die. USe milliput/aquarium epoxy etc

Good luck. Declare war and fight! ;)

If they CHARGED you for this, then I would have a problem with that too!:angry:

Here are some photos with articles telling how these are pests.....if this was me, and I paid money for it, I would print these out, take it back and demand my money back!!!

www.saltaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aal00798.htm

www.aquarium.net/faqs/aiptasia.shtml

If you simply bought the rock and that was a "bonus" I would print out the articles and enlighten those people!!!

at least it's big!

let's see, silver lining, hmm. you could put the aiptasia into a runway scrubber like anthony calfo describes in his book to clean the water. being the consumate diy (dumb idiot yokel) that looked like a project to do, hmm.

you could dye it and sell it back! :D stained glass anenome!

Originally posted by Asterix

I am sorry but............HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hey! BE nice now!!!

I didn't know any better. I actually paid 8.99 for the freakin thing. AAAAAHHHH MAkes me so mad. Well lesson learned. I took it out the whole piece of rock out of my tank. I am very mad!!! !AAAAAHHH!H!!!!!

KYle

Sorry to hear that Kyle! but when i heard you bought that "rock anemone" for $8.99 i was like..hmmmmmm....well..its a BIG Aiptasia at least...^_^

Anyhow, just bring it back and get a refund...if they don't..sue them for false advertising!!!

You will not get that from me..all you will have by next wednsday are some beautiful healthy corals!!

Dude, at first I wasnt aware that you actually bought the Aiptasia! Man, that sucks! They refered to Aiptasia as glass anemone to make a sale...hmm...thats real sneaky. :happy:

Sorry dude.

Fender963

Hey! BE nice now!!!

Sorry man, Wasnt tryin to be mean! If that had happend to me, I would want someone to laupgh to! I cant belive that though! A buddy of mine who runs a LFS here had a customer call in once and say something like this

Guy: "Hello, I was just callin to see if you would take rock anenomies in for trade"

LFS Ownder: "Your not talking about aptasia are you?"

Guy: " Yhea, I farm them"

LFS Owner " WTF!? You dont need to farm those!"

:::::Click, Phone hung up:::::::::

I cant belive someone would sale aptasia, I would pay someone to come take everyone of mine!, In one of my tanks with my octo I have got them everywhere! Dont feel bad though, When I first started off, I thought aptasia looked cool and would porposely by LR with them on it ;) Then I found out.....and kicked myself in the ass

The Petland near me closed up, or I'd sell them some of mine...! Heck, I could probably even find a largish one and dye it with something. Hmmm. I've got industrial-strength food coloring paste used for cake decorating....I could probably find a largish aiptasia on the glass or the caulerpa in the 'fuge tank so I don't have to worry about hurting anything on the LR.... Hmmmm....... :evilgrin:

ummmmmm guys..... i dunno if u have heard of it or not, but some consider aptiasia aka rock anenome to be a FO inhabitant, its really only that bad if there are corals int he tank..... i thought it was a well known fact that rock anenomes were the same as aptasia.... o well, im sory you werent informed man, mayb you should have asked us first about it? o well, good luck with getting rid of it, try the kalk method i hear it works best,

nishant

I think Nishant's got a point there.

I certainly wouldnt mind having aiptasia in a FO setup.

And me too, when I first got my LR saw the Aiptasia, and thought "Great, I already got some kind of coral..." only to find out later its considered a pest mostly.

Fender963; have you taken it back to the LFS? I am curious as to what they will say when you tell them that Aiptasia are pests in most reefers books.

no, i think u misunderstood me, what i mean is, they are pests, for reefs, as are mantis shrimps but does that prevent people from selling or buying them? its probably just htat petland knew they werent safe for reef tanks, and was selling it as a FO anenome... now if they were to tell y ou "sure its fine for reefs, i have one in my own" then id say ure go back and flame thehell outa them. ime petland hasnt been all that bad.....

nishant

ask them if you can get a full refund. A few people accualy do farm aiptesia to feed this peticular nudibrach. As well as rock anemones can be used as nitrate export organisms.

Archived