Innovative Marine Aquariums

Grant's newborn 10gal!

Grant

Hey guys, here she is... My setup is as follows: Coralife 96 watt Power Quad, Penguin-Mini running carbon (bio-wheel and filter pad taken out), Penguin 550 power head (145 GPH), 50 watt visi-therm heater, littlest mag-float, aragonite sand (don't know how much exactly) and 20 pounds of Marshall Island live rock! This is only day two... I can't wait until my cycle is over, but I am going to lol!

-Grant

P.S. Thanks to anyone that has answered questions for me!:)

Yah it is lol! I like it so far though, I could always break it up in the future but it is a nice piece (would be better in a large tank!).

-Grant

DitchPlains

Sweet look rock, the leftside one is a bit phallack...lol Its a reef hardon...woohoo..lol

good lux stocking it, btw what kind of light? pc or mh

Very nice! How much did that light set you back? I am thinking about not doing a JBJ Nano Cube, even though the tank has the filter and lighting all in one. I am trying to figure out how much of a difference it would be to buy everything seperate.

Thanks, and sorry for getting off topic.

Your tank will now forever be dubbed, the monolith.

Mon"o*lith, n. [F. monolithe, L. monolithus consisting of a single stone, Gr. ?; ? single + ? stone.] A single stone, especially one of large size, shaped into a pillar, statue, or monument.

n : a single great stone (often in the form of a column or obelisk)

Haha thanks for all of the comments guys! Reefhardon is tempting but I think I would rather have it be thought of as the monolith! I did have that rock on its side but it just didn't do it justice! The lighting is Power Compact, it was a very good buy! www.hellolights.com (on sale) $97 and then $8 for the mounting legs and about $10 for shipping! They even threw in a free 6-outlet power strip. I am very happy with this product. It looks a lot diffrent in real life, it is very nice & bright! The 50/50 quad bulb is sweet! I need to tweak my camera for a better shot!

-Grant

Looks sweet.... you got any more pictures of it in the light and not so much in the dark. It looks nice but i'd like to see how much gap there is.. and should I worry about the gap between the tank and the light fixture? Or is it optimal to have that?

You will want it up off your glass top but you don't have to have it like that! I like it for heat issues and because I keep an open top, the mounting legs are great! So maybe you do need it like that lol!

Thanks for the comments ridinfast03!

-Grant

wow, this is exactly what my 10 gallon is going to look like when i get the grades to get 1. haha. anyways that is awsome. what type of inhabitants are you planning on getting? i think i am going to get a percula clown, some hermits, a shrimp, some snails, feather dusters, and some corals down the road.

did you add anything to your water besides salt? and are you using ro, tap, or distilled water, mixed w/ which salt?

Hey JParra and bjk thanks for the comments! I am using RO water from the grocery store (it is great and only 39 cents / gallon) I am mixing it with Instant Ocean Salt and some stress coat! I am getting an all snail clean up crew... skunk cleaner or coral banded shrimp, mushrooms, Green star polyp, ric, maybe the lowest light loving SPS, pulsing xenia, feather dusters! Zoo! I want a little of everything lol, but we will see! For fish I will deffinately be going with a percula clown, six line and maybe a yellow watchman goby. If I don't go with the clown I will get a black cardinal! I will give you guys an update when I get something! Probably in the next week or so! Thanks,

-Grant

fastredponycar

nice tank grant! I've got a 10g in my kitchen that's a freshwater tank at the moment. I'm finishing up on my eclipse 6 in my bedroom and want to get a MH under my 30 gal in our den before I start the 10g.

I'll probably be going with scorched Ice's setup with a custom stand and canopy. I'll probably put a 150watt MH (maaabey a 250 since the price difference is negligible and I'll have to add cooling fans regardless of wattage) and a pair of actinice 03 PC's.

so in anyone's opinion what is better: distilled water or RO water?

That tank is going to be awsome. how do you like the 96 watts?

Sounds awesome fastredponycar! Thanks bjk, so far I am loving this 96 watt power compact! I can't wait to add my clean-up crew & some corals of course! Everything is at 0 (Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate) but I plan on waiting a few more days anyway. RO water is deffinately the best! Just get some at the grocery store for 39 cents/gallon! At my grocery store it is RO/DI, carbon and U.V. filtered! It rocks!

-Grant

Hey grant,

I used to use the instant ocean salt. Its good but it is synthethic. Try using Red Sea. It is actual sea salt and it has numerous trace elements. I have a six line wrass that did not like my perc. they were roughly the same size. Be careful with your choice make sure that the perc is bigger. think about getting a pistol shrimp to go with the watchman goby. They will form a symbiotic relationship.

Yah I will probably change to a better salt after my I.O. runs out :) ... I have heard good things about Oceanic too! I will deffinately do some more research before I set my mind on certain fish! The pistol shrimp and goby idea does sound awesome though, I am sure I will do that! I have heard about that, they form a Commensulistic (spelling) relationship (one of the three symbiotic relationships) where one benefits (the shrimp) and the other doesn't really gett affected in any way. I could be wrong though, maybe it is Mutualistic where they both benefit. Anyway thanks for the sweet pic!

-Grant

JPKelly214

That's a set up I'll be doing. What is the rationale for using the penquin filter the way you are (ie removing bio wheel, etc). Thanks,

Archived