Coral Vue Hydros

Bioload in a 30 g goby tank...

Terryz_

Hi... I am in the process of stocking up my 30 g goby tank...

The current stock that i have are:

4 x Neon Eviota Goby

2 x Hectori Goby

2 x Blue Neon Goby

I am thinking of adding these...

2 x Red Head Goby

2 x Black Hi Fin Goby

2 x Rainfordi Goby

2 x Golden Neon Goby(Don't know will fight with the Blue Neon or not)(Pls Advise)

Is this bioload too much...

Thkz and Rgdz...

AReeferIsExpensive

sounds like a bunch of war and ammonia to me~

and yes, the neons will def fight........

If I use a oversized skimmer for the tank... Will it be possible to put so many fishes in this tank... Thkz...

how often do you test nitrates, and what type of test? What are the results?

I might be a short timer reef wise, but FOWLR wise I would think you could keep several more gobies in there.

Originally posted by MrKrispy

how often do you test nitrates, and what type of test?   What are the results?

I might be a short timer reef wise, but FOWLR wise I would think you could keep several more gobies in there.

Every fortnightly... The previous result was 40+... Using the Mini Labor testkit... Result is quite tha same as Salifert.... Not a FOWLR... Will be adding sps in the end....

Cellenzweig

What about drilling the tank and adding a sump? This will increase your water volume & decrease your bioload. Or is that out of the question?

Colin

So you have 8 fish in a 15 gallon tank? You're way overstocked already. I wouldn't go with more than 3 fish in that tank, even with the sump volume.

Originally posted by MrKrispy

Terryz,

ummm are you saying that your nitrates are 40+ mg/L or did you miss a decimal somewhere?

40ppm... It only shows 40ppm...

Originally posted by koj11

So you have 8 fish in a 15 gallon tank?  You're way overstocked already.  I wouldn't go with more than 3 fish in that tank, even with the sump volume.

FYI... All the fish i have is less than 1in long...

First Off- If you don't want to hear the advice, don't ask.

Second- I know in Asian countries they tend to keep more fish in a tank than in other areas. This isn't healthy for the fish. Just because other people in your area do it, doesn't mean its good for the fish.

Thirdly- 8 fish in a 15 gallon and you are wanting to add more?!?!?!?! :o :x :*(

IMO, look at the members tanks here. That should give you an idea of what type of livestock you should keep in a tank that size.

And just in case you didn't catch it the first time

:o :x :*(

~

First Off- If you don't want to hear the advice, don't ask

I am just asking if it is possible to add more fish if i oversize the skimmer... If the answer is no... Den i would stick to my current stock and would not add anymore fish... I also have not added any fish yet because i am still unsure abt it...

Second- I know in Asian countries they tend to keep more fish in a tank than in other areas. This isn't healthy for the fish. Just because other people in your area do it, doesn't mean its good for the fish.

Point Noted... Thkz...

Thirdly- 8 fish in a 15 gallon and you are wanting to add more?!?!?!?!    

If thats over the limit i would stop stocking up... and try to sell off some of my fishes....

IMO, look at the members tanks here. That should give you an idea of what type of livestock you should keep in a tank that size.

Thkz... Will take a look...

Sorry bout that, didn't mean to snap at ya. You are doing more than most people would do in coming here and asking questions.

IMO, i would probably pick about 4-5 of those fish you are attached too and get rid of the rest. Even with that many you are somewhat stressing the system, but with a good skimmer you'll probably be ok.

BTW....Sorry again :blush:

~

Sorry bout that, didn't mean to snap at ya. You are doing more than most people would do in coming here and asking questions.

Nah... It is okaie... I don't quite get what you mean in the second part...

IMO, i would probably pick about 4-5 of those fish you are attached too and get rid of the rest. Even with that many you are somewhat stressing the system, but with a good skimmer you'll probably be ok.

I think i will stick to the gobies i have now because it will be very difficult to catch them out... Thkz...

BTW got some doubts...

1. Regardless of the size of the fish... The bioload is the same????

2. How to tell the bio load is at the max... My tank look pretty empty... And only two hector goby swimming ard... Crowded????

Terryz,

I tend to not follow "only have this many fish in _____gal tank". However, as far as I know you want to keep nitrates between 0 and 0.25 ppm for reef tanks. You are WAY over that, so I wouldn't add more fish. It might not be that you have too many fish, but you don't have enough live rock or such. You might want to pick up the water changes if you plan on keeping SPS.

Good luck!

Keep in mind 4 of his fish are Eviota's, which are like fully grown at 1". The neons get what? 2-2.5"? The hectori and ranfordi both depend heavily on pods for their diets - they will compete too much. I would say what you have is fine your tank.

Archived