Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

fin rot

BiGGj711

i awoke today and turned on my tank only to find that my gold stripe maroon has what looks to be fin rot. there has been a small spot on his tail that i wasnt concerned about until today - now there is a complete chunk taken out of his tail. he's the only fish in there, so i know its not someone else picking on him. my question is, has anyone used paraguard or melafix or something along these lines to treat fin rot? any recommendations? also, do i need to quaratine him to use these treatments, or can i just leave him in the tank?

do you have any crabs? i believe fin rot is a fungal disorder, most likely caused by poor water quality. i would do a large water change to start and if you still think it necessary to treat the fish i would try pimafix, it is by the makers of melafix which is totally reef safe. im not sure if pimafix is reef safe or not but if the instructions say its safe for inverts i would believe it. as always just in case have a 100% water change ready when dosing the display tank.

Archived