Cultivated Reef

mangroves

disaster999

albertthiel

Not sure that you can actually take mangroves off where ever you found them ... they look like they are going fine but I would check whether it is legal to collect them yourself ... FWIW

Albert

april 16, picked a handful of mangroves from the beaches

• 1 month later...
albertthiel
this is a month later

IMAG1046.jpg

IMAG1045.jpg

Looks nice but did you check whether you needed a permit to collect mangroves ....

I am pretty sure you do ....

Just as a word of caution ... if it's illegal ... don't do it :+)

• 3 weeks later...

Albert he/she has ignored your question twice. I don't think they care of it's illegal and neither should you. Let people do as they please.

Albert he/she has ignored your question twice. I don't think they care of it's illegal and neither should you. Let people do as they please.

Are you suggesting that I endorse what is illegal? If it is there is a reason for it and IMHO hobbyists should adhere to those restrictions/laws or whatever as all that is needed is to get a permit, which is not that big a deal to do IMO.

Albert

Are you suggesting that I endorse what is illegal? If it is there is a reason for it and IMHO hobbyists should adhere to those restrictions/laws or whatever as all that is needed is to get a permit, which is not that big a deal to do IMO.

Albert

Hes in Hong Kong...

Captain Hook

illegal vs legal....if thats the case, to be responsible and all that jazz we should all start grilling our LFS and online retailers as to where they got their shipments from and ask for a copy of the purchase order to ensure that none of their products are illegally poached. If somebody is driving 55 in a 50 zone are you going to call the police on them as well? Its not like hes selling them in bulk for a high profit lol

illegal vs legal....if thats the case, to be responsible and all that jazz we should all start grilling our LFS and online retailers as to where they got their shipments from and ask for a copy of the purchase order to ensure that none of their products are illegally poached. If somebody is driving 55 in a 50 zone are you going to call the police on them as well? Its not like hes selling them in bulk for a high profit lol

I only wanted to make a general statement as that is what my thinking is, but it is of course up to each hobbyist to decide how they want to handle the matter.

You are right however that we would not be able to check whether what we buy from LFS's and online has been legally imported, or was aqua cultured.

And on the speeding, I agree, no one or a tiny fractions of drivers would call that in, unless what they saw was likely to cause an accident due to excessive erratic driving of that driver.

Albert

hey i was thinking of adding some mangrooves to my tank (I live in Guatemala Albert, and i would get the ones that wash up on shore and would die eventually anyways, so I guess id actually be saving them) but I was wondering if they will help with my water or if they are just for show? Im fairly new to this hobbie and i started my nano about a month ago and Im still a little nervous about just adding stuff im not 100% sure about

Your's look good tho! i feel like they would make mine look nicer

hey i was thinking of adding some mangrooves to my tank (I live in Guatemala Albert, and i would get the ones that wash up on shore and would die eventually anyways, so I guess id actually be saving them) but I was wondering if they will help with my water or if they are just for show? Im fairly new to this hobbie and i started my nano about a month ago and Im still a little nervous about just adding stuff im not 100% sure about

Your's look good tho! i feel like they would make mine look nicer

Yes I guess that in your case you would indeed be saving them

When placed in a fuge, they assist in lowering nutrient levels in the water and are only 1 of the many organisms and algae placed in the fuge.

They will need some light, low level, but make sure the heat of the bulb does not "burn" the mangrove and gets it to die. But if you use low level lighting (moonlight type), the heat should not be a problem.

Of course to use them you will need to have a sump, that has a fuge part in it

If its still a propagule then you can take them. Would be interested to see if there were any roots. If its in the US then cant take with roots. Hong Kong you can do whatever you want

FWIW, on the eastern parts of the U.S., you can not harvest rooted mangrove plants from the wild. However, it is legal to pick up mangrove propagules/ seeds which wash up on beaches, just as it is legal to pick up sea grass that washes up on beaches and NOT legal to pull out sea grasses growing insitu.

However, in Hawaii, red mangroves are actually a foreign, invasive species, so IT IS LEGAL to pick/ harvest and up root RED MANGROVES propagules from where ever you see fit - ONLY ON THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. Though not many people there do so.

This gentleman, being in Hong Kong, is probably not doing anything illegal since many nature preservation laws are generally similar around the world. He hasn't picked the seeds off a tree nor harvested a rooted propagule. So its cool, just chill folks.

I thought mangroves were from Florida?

Also, I think it is only illegal if they have leaves.

No, mangroves line the coasts of most subtropical or tropical regions in the world. I don't know about anywhere else, but, as was mentioned before, it's only illegal if it's rooted in Florida.

• 2 weeks later...

im not sure if its legal or not to take mangroves from the beaches. i do think im saving them as they are washed up and will turned into dried sticks if i didnt pick them up.

as you can see from the picture they are just green sticks with no roots.

i did check the hong kong agriculture, fishery and conservation website regarding mangroves they did advice not to bring plants home as they "belong to nature"

http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/conservatio...ngrove.html#dos

http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/country/cou..._visiting_2.pdf

with my limited research, it did not say it was illegal. true you shouldnt bring them back since the general public wouldnt know how to keep these, but i believe i successfully kept and grew the plant.

• 1 year later...

I thought mangroves were from Florida?

Also, I think it is only illegal if they have leaves.

There are mangroves all over the world.

Archived