Top Shelf Aquatics

Candy Cane Coral

NaNO ReeFiN

NaNO ReeFiN

Aquatic Warehouse has a ton of little candy cane frags for sale... Could someone please give me a little info on these guys and how hardy they are... I have a 7 gal. tank with 27watts of lighting, would this be adequate enough..?

Thats fine.

I just read a Tropical aquarium magazine today, and there was a marine section.

In it, they asked a well known British LFS what would be a suitable beginner hardy LPS coral, the answer was the candy cane coral.

I have a large bunch in my tank. They are sitting very low in the tank.

Quite a tough coral, will do fine with your light, likes low to moderate water flow.

IMO, get a few frags, you'll like them.

I picked up a candycane frag from a LFS a few weeks ago. $10 for a seven-head piece, it was quite a deal. I have it sitting in my sandbed, and it's doing well. Some of the heads have already started to split. I have 72w over 10g.

They must be fairly hardy... shortly after I got mine, I went to move it and droped the thing head-first into some rocks. The rather sharp skeleton pierced through the flesh in one spot. Over the next few days, I could actually watch the coral heal itself, as the flesh quickly mended together around the exposed skeletal ridge. It was pretty impressive how fast it was able to rebound from my carelessness.

I'd agree with Sahin to keep it in lower flow. It's a fun coral to feed, as the mouths are quite pronounced.

NaNO ReeFiN

I just bought a frag today.. actually, it was two frags stuck together but they only charged me for one. So I got 10 heads altogether for 10 bucks. :happy:

NaNO ReeFiN

yeah, i'm soo glad i live 5 minutes away from this place! i'm gonna go back soon cause they got some descent sized frogspawns for cheap! (All San Diegans better leave my frogspawns alone!! :happy: )

awesome deal! i'm gonna have to steal thoes frogspawns from you though. mine had a tragic pump accident. haha jk, there all yours. WW

NaNO ReeFiN
Originally posted by WillyWonka

awesome deal!  i'm gonna have to steal thoes frogspawns from you though.  mine had a tragic pump accident. haha jk, there all yours.  WW

Actually, go for it! I think there's like 1 or 2 left that were pretty cheap... I just got mine today. :happy:

what kind of LFS sells a coral for 10 bucks...

it must be nice to have one of those stores around..

never will that happen around 100 mile radius from where i live....

i went to LFS in san francisco, and i saw a button polyps the size of a nickle with 3 polyps...and the dude was gonna charge me full price for it...

NaNO ReeFiN
Originally posted by Stryf3

what kind of LFS sells a coral for 10 bucks...

it must be nice to have one of those stores around..

Actually... it was $9.99 hahaha :D

little rubble pieces and lfs maricultured ones are usually in that range. i've seen $8.99~$19.99 for that grade (depending on size and quality)

There's a lfs in AZ (Ocean Vu Aquariums) that sells frags if you ask them: I got my toadstool (off its rock) for $10.00 and my purple button polyp colony for $10.00

Archived