Coral Vue Hydros

My new 7 gal mini experience (pics included)

HobokenAddict

HobokenAddict

It's now one full week since I started cycling my minibow and it's wonderful to see all the life on the rock starting to poke out, plus the wonderful diatom growth. But for the record, here's the set up

-7 gal AGA minibow

-DIY custom stand with hidden side door for storage and RO auto topoff(not yet in)

-Via Aqua titanium model fully submergible heater(temp gauge on opposite side)

-CSL 32w retrofit Smartlight and 1 w moonlight led

-CPU fans mounted on ends of light housing for cooling and cross flow ventilation(used Radio Shack fans and AC/DC converter to simplify install)

-CPR BakPak 2R RR for skimming, additional water volume, and cross current flow in tank

Rio 400 powerhead for flow

12 lbs Walt island uncured Fiji LR

7 lbs CaribSea aragonite with LS seeds from two other est. tanks

I started testing the water about 3 days into cycle and at the end of one week here's the test results

4/30

Sal: 1.0215 at 80 deg.

PH: 8.0-8.2 fluctuates daily

Ammonia: .25 ppm

Nitrite: .25 ppm -this literally went from 5 ppm to .25 in one day

Nitrate: 20 ppm

My photoperiod is 10-12 hours a day, however I am considering scaling back to 8-10 hours

The LR was no more than a week old, and already, if I am right, I am seeing all kinds of growth. The white corraline die off is now covered by what I believe is diatom, I will post the pics in the nex post. There is also, reddish/purple corraline growth showing up, and some areas where the corralline die off is now starting to show a cool green.

Now here's where I need some help. There is some interesting stuff still on the LR, what looks like plant growth, new and old. I have been searching the web, and reading threads to try to identify what's good and what's not. Please don't hold back, be merciless with comments for what does not kill you only makes you stronger!

Flananuts the HobokenAddict

HobokenAddict

It's hard to see in the pic due to size limits on photos, but there's two flourescent green dots now showing up on my rock, and there's also some sort of existing plant root(not sure if it's algea and can't get a pic of it. They're in the upper left section of the pic.

Domino_Tang

ahh lol nuttin much just wave your hand or just rub it ... its a stage where the eco system trying to adapt itself ... eventually it will go away.. may help to do water changes ... i know its a hassle but trust me do it.. or your tank will just die... hermits and snials stir the sand... and rub against your rocks...increase the water flow... that helps laters

It will be gone soon enough. But yeah if it is truely bothering you...just rub it off.. Tooth brush always worked for me...

HobokenAddict

Thanks for the replies. Based on my readings, my cycle is almost complete, at least I think it is. I used a turkey baster and blew all the detritus(does this mean dead stuff) off my LR, and used an empty HOB filter pouch on my skimmer to catch any additional junk that the skimmer didn't blow off.

To my suprise, I found that I have my first addition to the tank, a feather duster. At fist I wasn't sure if it was, but seeing it pop in and out of the rock leads me to believe it's a feather duster.

Here's the current test measurements, lemme know what y'all think..

Sal: 1.023 at 80 deg(not using refractometer yet-on order)

PH: 8.2

Am: 0-.25 ppm-color is def. more yellow than green

Nitrite :0-.25ppm same here on color scale

Nitrate: 20 ppm and steady

I'm working on keeping my temp in check, with an additional CPU fan on my light source, but it looks like it's staying at 82 deg. with light and 80-82 when off.

Can I get my clean up crew in there yet?

Archived