Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Car HID's

qwuintus

Went to a car shop and the guy ahs 40g there. He is using Car HID for lighting. 2 light bulbs @ 70w each.. and he said the kit costs about 50 bucks. Not sure if they make them anymore but he has some. 100 bucks will get you 140w. Not bad I guess and the bulbs are only ~3"... Id rather build another 250 diy MH though for that price..

forgot to mention they are ~8000k

True vehicle HID are 35W each bulb, 70 total. You can usually find a ballast relativley cheap at a junkyard off a car that comes stock with HID, but the bulbs are NOT cheap. There are 10000k bulbs for sale, but they are in the area of 90 bucks each. You are better off going with the Ushio DE 70W MH that so many people are doing.

1fish2fish

Ya, the tru HID bulbs are way too expensive to make them a worthwhile altternative to MH.

I recently tried some of the "fake" HID's. You know, the xenon filled halogen replacements, but I found tha they weren't bright enough. Then the right headlight on my truck blew, so the experiment ended there.

Originally posted by 1fish2fish

Ya, the tru HID bulbs are way too expensive to make them a worthwhile altternative to MH.  

I recently tried some of the "fake" HID's.  You know, the xenon filled halogen replacements, but I found tha they weren't bright enough.  Then the right headlight on my truck blew, so the experiment ended there.

That is an all to common problem with the fake HID bulbs, they often burn out in a mater of weeks or months.

1fish2fish

Actually that wsn't the problem at all. The problem was that one of the normal headlight bulbs in my truck burned out. When I purchased the fake HID bulbs I made sure that I got some that would fit my truck so that if my little experiment didn't work out I still had a good use for them. These ones actually have a life span equal to that of regular halogen headlamps. They're only 65 watts, whereas most of the fake HID's are 100+ watts.

Anyways, as stated, it was one of the old bulbs in my truck that burned out and I just replaced the lights in my truck with the new bulbs. That's why the experiment ended. I needed the bulbs for my truck hehe. So basically no common problem there.

Originally posted by 1fish2fish

Actually that wsn't the problem at all. The problem was that one of the normal headlight bulbs in my truck burned out.  When I purchased the fake HID bulbs I made sure that I got some that would fit my truck so that if my little experiment didn't work out I still had a good use for them.  These ones actually have a life span equal to that of regular halogen headlamps.  They're only 65 watts, whereas most of the fake HID's are 100+ watts.

Anyways, as stated, it was one of the old bulbs in my truck that burned out and I just replaced the lights in my truck with the new bulbs.  That's why the experiment ended.  I needed the bulbs for my truck hehe.  So basically no common problem there.

Gotcha. Most of the fake HID like you said are 100+ watts and do not last long at all even though they are suposed to last.

1fish2fish

Yep,

and most stock headlight wire harness' are not intended to run 100+ watts, which often leads to melting of the harness and wireing. This has been known to cause issues from shorts and electrical problems to fires (which is why I went with the proper wattage). ;)

Archived