Innovative Marine Aquariums

Which pump do you recommend for the job?

91mini

I have the glass holes 1500 GPH overflow and (2) 3/4 returns drilled for my 100G. I have a friend giving me a 30G tank that will be my refugium.

Which pump and GPH should I get to return the water back to the tank efficiently?

albertthiel

Do I understand you correctly that your overflows can only handle 1500 GPH ? How did you determine that? And if that is the case then you cannot use a pump that pushes more than what your overflow can handle into the tank or the sump will empty itself and your tank will overflow ... or am I not understanding your post correctly ? Also how large is this tank ... 125? 150? or what exactly.

Please clarify. Thanks

Albert

I have the glass holes 1500 GPH overflow and (2) 3/4 returns drilled for my 100G. I have a friend giving me a 30G tank that will be my refugium.

Which pump and GPH should I get to return the water back to the tank efficiently?

albertthiel

Well if my interpretation is correct then you need to use a pump that does not exceed the capacity of the overflow box ... if it can only handle 1500 GPH then the pump you use cannot push more than that if I understand this correctly.

I'll check the overflow site and see what they recommend when back to lapto[

Albert

This overflow kit is what I have and sorry it's going on a 100 gallon tank.
revaltion131

You also need to find a calculation for the actual GPH at the head (highest point of the return line, usually ~4ft) you'll have. It will be lower than the actual gph of the pump. You can get around having too strong of a pump by putting a ball valve on your return line; simple and pretty useful addition anyway. I will be following along too because I'll be looking to get a new return pump soon as well.

albertthiel

And it that going with a sump ? Remember as was pointed out that anything on the floor that has to push water up to the top of the aquarium will not put out the rated volume that the manufacturer gives you .. it should tell you though what the output is at a certain height ... not sure for that one though but the Eheim site should give you that information

Note though that on a 100 gallon tank you need a lot of turnover so in addition to a strong pump you will probably IME need some internal circulation set up as well with good quality power heads or internal pumps that move water around in all direction and do not create the same flow all the time (e.g. circular) The flow should IMO vary and there are devices you can use that will allow you to accomplish that.

Albert

I was thinking of getting the Eheim 1260 which is rated 635GPH

Here is a site on the web that gives reviews of the Eheim ...

http://www.thereeftank.com/compare-water-p...0-pump/reviews/

Albert

I was thinking of getting the Eheim 1260 which is rated 635GPH
revaltion131

Eheims are great pumps that don't lose much power and last a long time. However, I have the step up, the 1262, on my 125 and it's just not giving the turnover I want. It might be good for a 100, though.

albertthiel

Output is going to depend on how high the pump has to push the water ... and if it is coming from a sump or huge then that may very well be 4ft or so.

From what I read about that set up it looks like it is coming from a sump so a stronger pump may be need to get a strong water turn over in the tank.

Below is a link to a site that lists a whole number of choices of pups for saltwater tanks ....

Selection of Saltwater Aquarium Pumps

Albert

Eheims are great pumps that don't lose much power and last a long time. However, I have the step up, the 1262, on my 125 and it's just not giving the turnover I want. It might be good for a 100, though.
disaster999

i use a the maxijet utility pump 4500 which is like 1200gph or so for my 100gal setup.

really depends how fast or slow you want water throwing through your sump. the ehiem 1260 might be neough, but i would use that as the bare minimum. anything slower than that you wont get much flow.

i use a the maxijet utility pump 4500 which is like 1200gph or so for my 100gal setup.

really depends how fast or slow you want water throwing through your sump. the ehiem 1260 might be neough, but i would use that as the bare minimum. anything slower than that you wont get much flow.

I think a mag9 or mag12 should be okay. Maxijet 3000 is also a very good, quiet and less energy pump as well.

any pump should work as long that the pump can bring water from the sump to your display tank should be okay.

I used to use Mag Drive pumps but recently switched to Maxijet because they use less energy than the Mag pump.

always have a valve on the return just in case the pump you are using is too much for the overflow.

Archived