Cultivated Reef

Need a fish for my 10 gallon!

Fender963

I think I am ready for my first fish in my 10 gallon! This is my first saltwater tank but my tank has been pretty stable for a month now so I think it is time.

What fish would everyone recommend? It needs to be an easy fish remember!!!

Kyle

I would go with an Ocellaris Clown. They are hardy, attractive, friendly, not too expensive, readily available, and have a great deal of character.

Would you recommend one or two? I have heard that they do really well in pairs but I'm not sure if a 10 is too small to keep them in!

Kyle

Many folks do a pair of clowns in a ten. I personally, would only put one fish in there, but I like to keep the focus on corals, and prefer to stay well under the bioload. If you go for two, try to buy a mated pair at once, so you avaoid compatability problems. You could also do a firefish. They're very cool looking, but they don't have the personality and spunk that the clown would. Have fun!

IMO 2 clowns would be fine in a 10 gallon, as long as you maintained water changes consistently. Another combination would be a clownfish and a clown goby, which is what I have in my 7, and they're doing great. A clown goby doesn't have the personality a clownfish has, but they're cute and attractively colored (mine is bright yellow and I've seen green and blue ones as well).

they're pretty shy, so dont be surprised if you dont see it all day cuz its hiding in a rock. before i dropped a clown in my tank i only saw my firefish during feedings but now he's a bit more social, i'm guessing since he has company. i have a 10 and have 3 fish in there, it seems a bit much but they're all pretty happy (i'm guessin) and are very healthy. redhead goby, firefish, clown.

korona

spoondigity

I am going with a Royal Gramma for my first in my 10 gallon. Everything I have heard about them is positive and they are not too expensive ($19 normal price at my LFS). I have also heard they are relatively easy to keep.

BustytheSnowMaam

If you go for clowns, get a pair, and go for juvenile, tank-raised clowns. I think they will behave more naturally as a pair than if kept singly.

Tasha

if the tank was mine...

HmMmm...too many options....

1 or 2 percula clownfish

1 or 2 bangaii or pajama cardinal

1 or 2 royal gramma

Coral beuty

or a firefish

i'd say perculas would be your best bet. Other fish that might work would be royal grammas, firefish, and a fridmani psuedochromis. Don't go with an angel. Even the pygmy/cherub angel needs at least 20 gallons. They like space.

Archived