Top Shelf Aquatics

What is Coralline, and how does it grow?

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

Many new tank owners ask us about coralline algae, and we finally got around to writing and article about how to grow coralline, what coralline is, and why people talk about it. You can find that article here:

What is Coralline?

albertthiel

Nice explanation on red Coraline algae ... if you could expand on it that would be even better as IME there is a lot more info available on them that hobbyists would for sure be interested in I think

Albert

Many new tank owners ask us about coralline algae, and we finally got around to writing and article about how to grow coralline, what coralline is, and why people talk about it. You can find that article here:

What is Coralline?

johnmaloney

Thanks! I try to keep articles short, but I may write later articles on different species. Most aquarists that stop by us are beginner's and they have enough info to drive them nuts I figure, no time to get long winded. :)

albertthiel

Thanks for the post of the link, interesting article.

Albert

What is Coralline?

johnmaloney
Can the plating Coraline come in a brown color?

Yes, I have seen more than one species diving myself. Many different shades of brown too, the "golden turbo" contest we had that no one claimed, had a gold colored coralline that turned a mocha brown under bright light. Not as common in the hobby though.

albertthiel

Good idea ... thanks ... and yes I agree when it gets too long it may not get read or not read in depth ...

Albert

Thanks! Sure there is plenty more you can write on coralline, but not sure most aquarists would be interested, maybe a follow up article later on certain genuses and their particular care later. I try to keep articles at a length that it can be read by most people in 50 seconds, page views over 50 seconds go down dramatically. Most aquarists that stop by us are beginner's and they have enough info to drive them nuts I figure. :)
Yes, I have seen more than one species diving myself. Many different shades of brown too, the "golden turbo" contest we had that no one claimed, had a gold colored coralline that turned a mocha brown under bright light. Not as common in the hobby though.

So is this coraline?

coralinepic.jpg

Archived