Innovative Marine Aquariums

"New" Coralife BioCube 14 Setup Questions/Comments

rknott

Just wish I had found this board five weeks ago! I have a 4 week old Biocube 14 that so far is doing well (3 inch live sand, 20 pounds live rock). I have been doing weekly water changes and having the LFS check the water - all is well. This week we added 2 clowns, 2 snails, 1 hermit. Had already gone through the brown algae bloom, that is gone and now have the green algae growing on the glass and live rock.

After reading these boards, I ordered the InTank media basket, chemipure, purigen and a heater. I am sure I have missed the answers - but when they arrive do I just change out everything at once? I had already taken out the bioballs and replaced with bag of Matrix rocks in Chamber 2 and still have the stock filter in chamber 1. I am going to place the media basket in Chamber 2, remove the stock filter and put the heater in chamber 1. I have read that people take out the bottom plate in Chamber 1, but is that possible in a running aquarium?

Thanks for your patience and for the knowledge shared on these boards! After running freshwater aquariums for over 30 years this is a totally new experience - but we are already planning on a larger salt tank in the future!

Just wish I had found this board five weeks ago! I have a 4 week old Biocube 14 that so far is doing well (3 inch live sand, 20 pounds live rock). I have been doing weekly water changes and having the LFS check the water - all is well. This week we added 2 clowns, 2 snails, 1 hermit. Had already gone through the brown algae bloom, that is gone and now have the green algae growing on the glass and live rock.

After reading these boards, I ordered the InTank media basket, chemipure, purigen and a heater. I am sure I have missed the answers - but when they arrive do I just change out everything at once? I had already taken out the bioballs and replaced with bag of Matrix rocks in Chamber 2 and still have the stock filter in chamber 1. I am going to place the media basket in Chamber 2, remove the stock filter and put the heater in chamber 1. I have read that people take out the bottom plate in Chamber 1, but is that possible in a running aquarium?

Thanks for your patience and for the knowledge shared on these boards! After running freshwater aquariums for over 30 years this is a totally new experience - but we are already planning on a larger salt tank in the future!

When you get it take out all of the false floors in the chambers and all of the filter spongers and bioballs. Put the media basket into chamber two. I put chaeto at the bottom, chemi pure in the center and cut one of the filter spongers that came with the tank in the top. The reason I kept the sponge is to take out large pieces of debris, and not all of the water gets filtered directly too it. I have a heater in chamber one but I don't plan on turning it on until the winter. It won't hurt anything if you take it out all at once.

Hey rknott! I've just been through pretty much exactly what you're going through now. I started end of April with a BC 14. Did all the StevieT mods, added a koralia 240 for better flow, and of course did a few noob things along the way. Thought cycle was done, added coral (zos) too early, cycle spiked and algae pretty much ate them up. Anyway, I learned, now my BC 14 is doing great, added additional CUC (to tackle the minor cyano), 2 clowns and some sweet coral. It was frustrating at first but with normal WC's every week, and plain regular maintenance, it's gotten to where I am totally addicted and really enjoy it! W- :)

Looking good! Good start so far!

As for the water slipping by the basket water-director thingy haha, you could drain some water back there, use some super gel glue to kind of silicone the area, wait like 10 minutes to let the glue settle, put water back in and it should stop the water from going through there.

I have a 14 gallon biocube also, been having some fun with it :D

Thanks for the words and the tip. When I do my first water change I might try this. I took the earlier tip and used a little piece of filter floss, folded it in half, and stuck it in there. Worked great.

Glad you can join in the conversation. I dind't know there was anyone out there will less posts than me! Maybe I should rename this the newbie thread.

Your freshwater experience is similar to mine, but I had 2 years compared to your 30. Sounds like you are about 3 weeks ahead of me. In addition to waiting for the cycle I don't plan on buying any livestock until I get this temperature thing figured out and stable. I am thinking about turning the fans around tonight based on a tip in that other thread and sucking air in instead of out . . . . or is it out instead of in. I will probably end up ordering some of the fans mentioned in the posts above in the quest for more air.

You are going quicker than I will getting the clean up crew at the same time as the fish. I plan on doing the 20 for $20 deal from the local shop. That is 20 snails or hermit crabs for $20. Figure I will get about 7 hermits and 13 snails. That will give me somethig to look at for a week or so. Then I will probably get a shrimp that is coral and fish safe.

I have one of the newer cubes and I didn't have to break out the bottom floor in the second chamber. In the new models it isn't attached and just slides in and out. One less thing I had to break!!

I have no clue what to do with a running tank.

Already planning another tank 'eh. Impressive! I am still overcoming the $$$ I have been dumping into this "inexepensive" smallish tank. Every time I buy anything it is $100. Stand 100, order from Steve T 100, new pump, R/O water, salt, and thermometer 100, live rock and sand 100. Don't get me wrong I am havng fun with it and well worth the money, but enough for now knowing I haven't bought any livestock yet.

Hey rknott! I've just been through pretty much exactly what you're going through now. I started end of April with a BC 14. Did all the StevieT mods, added a koralia 240 for better flow, and of course did a few noob things along the way. Thought cycle was done, added coral (zos) too early, cycle spiked and algae pretty much ate them up. Anyway, I learned, now my BC 14 is doing great, added additional CUC (to tackle the minor cyano), 2 clowns and some sweet coral. It was frustrating at first but with normal WC's every week, and plain regular maintenance, it's gotten to where I am totally addicted and really enjoy it! W- :)

Thanks for the post, welcome to the newbe thread. I am thinking about picking up a second pump as well. I think I will get it after the livestock crew, add my fish, and have a few coral. I will get it when I want to stick some coral on the far side of the tank away from the main pump.

Bummer on your wipe out. I had ick wipeout my freshwater tank and almost all my fish early in my freshwater days. I decided after that to always take it very slow.

I don't know what CUC is or minor cyano. Remember, newbe.

Stick a pic of your coral up when you have a chance. How did you decide what to get? How much did it cost?. I would like to buy from the local shop, but the most plain piece of small coral hits the cash register at $30 and something nice starts around $60. Not sure I want to kill things at that rate. I am also aftraid to buy off Craig's list given you don't know what you will get. I am thinkng about joinng a local club.

Now for the question of the day.

I have a Hydor Theo http://www.shop.com/Hydor_Theo_UL_Aquarium...l?sourceid=1414 50 watt thermometer that I bought locally. I set the thing at 77 knowing the house was going to get cool last night. Forgot to check the temperature this morning, but tank was 86 degrees when I got home from work even though the house was only 74. Not sure if I got a bad thermometer, of the temperature guages on thermometers never work? I turned it all the way down to 71. Will see what happens.

In my freshwater life I always bought cheap suff, ran 2 of them, and they didn't have a temperature marking, you just adjust it until the water is the correct temp. Had one break once and it started heating up the tank, but I caught it before it cooked my fish. Pays to check the tank 1 or 2 times every day!

EDIT: Did some searching on thermometers and it sounds like there is no perfect thermometer. I found quotes with all the brands not working out of the box. All of them seem to cook fish as well as not turn on at all. Foolproof solution appears something called a controller that you can pick up for another $100. I am going to stick with my thermometer for now and ignore the temperature reading. In general it appears the stealth heater has the most positive comments, but issues are reported on that one as well.

Got the brown algae bloom today. I didn't realize it would happen like this. I leave for work this morning at 8 and the tank is as clean as ever. I get home around 6 and everything is covered in brown. rocks, sand, whatever. Darkest brown is on the very top and with a bunch of fuzzy stuff on the top to boot. The rock with purple seemed to fend off most of it.

Still struggling with this stupid heater. After moving it to 71 last night, when I looked at the temp this morning tank was 80 degrees in my 68 degree house. I moved the heater down to 67 degrees, the lowest setting. I am thinking I would be better off with a 25W heater. I barely need a heater anyway. If this thing was to get stuck on it would bake the tank in a quick hurry. If a 25 watt heater completly shut down most I would lose would be a few degrees.

post-74756-1340338328_thumb.jpg

post-74756-1340338574_thumb.jpg

I learned over the week that the person that told me I could use my fresh water test kit for salt was 1/2 right. To measure ammonia you can use the same kit, but you need a different color card. Newbes take note!! I also learned on these forums you can request a saltwater color card and API will send you one for free. I put my request in, we will see.

Got permission from the fish gods at the local shop to purchase a cleaning crew. Cycle had only been going for 9 days, but after a quick ammonia spike thinking is that is it for the cycle since it has remained at 0 for a week and rock should have been cured anyway. Time will tell!

Picked up:

1 - Scarlet hermit

4 - Blue leg hermits (and boy are they small!)

1 - Trochus snail

4 - Astria snails

4 - Certh snails

They have put a nice dent in the flood of brown algae and field of green, but there is still plenty of work to do. They whole family has spent countless hours watching these guys. Not to mention dad (me) playing God and moving them around periodically so they are cleaning the rocks and not the thermometer!

I seem to have the heater worked out. Apperently 67 = 78 on a Hydor. Still no solution for cooling. I am going to try the cheapo "desk fan, prop the lid" solution for the 5 sunny days per year we get in Seattle.

I have a couple of critter questions for anyone that might have answers. . . . .

1. I have something that sticks out bunchs of clear tenticles. As soon as something touches them, like a hermit crab, or some passing sand, they suck back in real quick.

2. I also have these clear worm type things. Pieces of sand stick to them and they go from looking clear to being covered in sand. At some point they take off leaving a hollow tube.

I am not sure if this is 1 thing or 2. There are a bunch of them, and they are all on one rock. Pictures attached.

post-74756-1340685050_thumb.jpg

post-74756-1340685064_thumb.jpg

4 days and the clean up crew totally took care of all the brown algae and the entire field of green that was covering the sand. Amazing how quickly they work!!

Completed my first water change last night. I put 2 gallons of water in one of my 5 gallon buckets, stuck 2, 1/2 cups of salt in, put the stock biocube pump in the bucket for mixing, along with a backup 50w heater I had laying around from my freshwater stuff to heat the water, and about an hour later I tested the water and it was ready for the tank. Everyone on line says I should let it sit overnight, but guys at the local shop said that wasn't necessary. I let it mix for another 2 hours and sality was the same. It isn't clear why I need to wait overnight.

Changed my filter floss today. Figured I would let all the crud get filtered out in the old floss and then change it the next day.

I need to get more effient at the whole process. The water change itself didn't take long, but the cleanup, rising, and drying of everything seemed to take forever.

Thought about picking up some livestock last weekend, but the Nitires are starting to climb indicating the cycle isn't completed. Reading was so low it didn't show up on my home test kit, but the kit at the fish show read .1. Wait, wait, wait, wait . . . . . I was also told to not do any more water changes until the cycle completes.

I couldn't leave the store without buying at least something other than more RO water. Got into a discussion on how to clean the sand and not empty the sand from the tank. Bought 2 more siphons. One thin one for sucking ditrius from out of the corners of the rock, and a medium sized one for cleaning the sand that will slow down the suction rate.

TeflonTomDosh
I have a couple of critter questions for anyone that might have answers. . . . .

1. I have something that sticks out bunchs of clear tenticles. As soon as something touches them, like a hermit crab, or some passing sand, they suck back in real quick.

2. I also have these clear worm type things. Pieces of sand stick to them and they go from looking clear to being covered in sand. At some point they take off leaving a hollow tube.

I am not sure if this is 1 thing or 2. There are a bunch of them, and they are all on one rock. Pictures attached.

1 - sounds like aptapsia. buy aptasia x @ any local fish store, works great!

2 - snail eggs. they probably won't hatch, but nothing to worry about.

fredfish13

look at the jager heaters. i have one each in my 2 SW tanks. had a hydor in my BC14 before it decided to freak. that was sent to hydor to replace. Had the stealth ones, before recall, and a visatherm in my FW tanks. I like the jager alot.

Question, there is a fair amount of water that is able to slip by on the back side. Is that typical? Any way to prevent that? I made sure to not cut the hole to big and it is a pretty tight fit. Refer to picture #3.

I had the same problem as you. I actually started out with the old style that Stevie T used to offer, but that one seemed to not really direct the majority of the water into the basket, so I purchased the new one. The problem I had with the new one was that it would flop down onto the basket and it would not really direct the water into it. I wanted it to harness the basket and direct at least 90% into the basket. So here is what I did.

Here is a picture of it. I took a spare piece of acrylic and cut a square out to support both the media basket and the actual water directional piece against the back take wall. This way the piece will be held on top of the basket. I also used a hacksaw to trim off the extra piece of plastic that wasn't being used on the angled portion of the water direction. I did this to give extra room to fit the piece into the back. I used electrical tape to hold the new square I cut onto the piece to decide what angle I needed to get the fit just right. I then used acrylic glue to secure the square to the piece permanently. I then remove the tape and had a perfect fit.

waterdirector1.jpg

waterdirector2.jpg

The finished product. I still use a little piece of filter on the side for any water that does not get directed, but the water directional piece now moves 90% of the water into my basket and it also holds it precisely on the top of it.

waterdirector3.jpg

1 - sounds like aptapsia. buy aptasia x @ any local fish store, works great!

2 - snail eggs. they probably won't hatch, but nothing to worry about.

YIKES!! If it is aiptasia I don't want that in my tank from what I have read. However, from all the pictures and images I see of aiptsia it doesn't look like what I have, This is more of a worm type of thing that sand sticks to so I don't think that is it. I will run it by the crew at the local shop a second time to make sure it isn't aiptasia.

Snail eggs on the other 'eh. Okay, I will see what happens.

Thanks!

look at the jager heaters. i have one each in my 2 SW tanks. had a hydor in my BC14 before it decided to freak. that was sent to hydor to replace. Had the stealth ones, before recall, and a visatherm in my FW tanks. I like the jager alot.

Maybe I will give the jager a shot next time around. I seem to have this one dialed in now. Had to up it just a little the other day when the tank slipped to 76. Heater is now set at 70 and that holds the tank at 78 minimum.

I had the same problem as you. I actually started out with the old style that Stevie T used to offer, but that one seemed to not really direct the majority of the water into the basket, so I purchased the new one. The problem I had with the new one was that it would flop down onto the basket and it would not really direct the water into it. I wanted it to harness the basket and direct at least 90% into the basket. So here is what I did. . . . . .

I am not entirely sure what you mean when you say "the water would flop down onto the basket and it would not really direct the water into it."

The problem I am having is a little water flows right over the top and over the back side. Based on Steve's comment earler I have left it figuring he is the foremost expert. If I did anything I would consider putting something on the back side to prevent the water from flowing over, but I am guessing that is overkill.

Thanks for the tip and pics though.

Still letting the tank cycle. I am probably good at this point to stick livestock in, but I am taking a trip in a couple of weeks and don't trust the crew at home to monitor the tank so still waiting to put something other than a cleaning crew in the tank.

I have solved my heat problem at least for the short term without any expensive purchases. While the rest of the country was been blasted with a massive heatwave, here in Seattle it finally hit 82 so I had a chance to try a few things out.

Idea #1, Prop the hood open. Duh! That worked. The house got as hot as 78 one of the days and tank never got above 80. . . . . after that wopping heat wave (we are wimps in Seattle) I turned on the AC and house will never get above 76 now.

Idea #2 that also worked. Cycle the lights from 2 am until 10 am when the house is cooler. That worked as well, but kind of sucked because I couldn't see what was going on in there when I got home from work.

Idea #3 I ordered a fan before I tried the ideas above. I finally got it today and set it up to have it blowing in though one of the holes in the back of the tank and stuck the suction cup to the back of the tank. I have it go on with the lights. I don't know if that will do enough without opening the hood yet. I just set it up tonight. We will see

• 3 weeks later...

Got back from my vacation and picked up my first 2 items (other than the cleaning crew) 6 weeks after I initially put the saltwater in the tank. I went with a green candy cane and green striped mushroom. Pictures don't do them justice. They pop nicely in the tank. Hope is these are hardy and will work out in this newbee's tank. I placed them in the middle and towards the bottom based on on advice from the local shop.

Following up on my temperature issues. Fan blowing in the back of the tank is a rock solid solution. Tank never varies off 78 degrees. I have the fan coming on when the white lights come on. No drilling, cutting, or ordering of additional computer fans.

post-74756-1343626918_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Over a month without a post, getting sloppy!

All going good so far with no deaths. I thought I was going to lose a hermit crab or 2 when I came home from work one day and they were all fighting each other. I learned I didn't have enough larger shells for them so I ran down to the local store and got a larger variety of shells. After gently seperating them (multiple times) their aggression finally simmered down and they were happy with the new shells. There was quite a bit of moving from one shell to the next for a couple of hours, but everyone was ultimitely happy. I thought I lost my serith snails in the process since I couldn't find any of them, but over time all 4 came back out of the sand. TIP: buy lots of extra larger shells the day you buy your blue legged hermit crabs. Despite how small the suckers are when you get them, they grow up quick. My were flipping shells with a week or 2. Within a month a total mele broke out.

As for the Scarlet crab, I am a little disappointed with him. He doesn't come out much and he hasn't grown much at all.

I have been slowly adding a few items. My three new additions a 3 weeks ago are: Wam'n Watermelon (pic 1) zoanthid, a green recordia (pic 2), and a bright orange zoanthid (pic 3) the dealer didn't know the name of.

I picked up a coral banded shrimp today that has yet to crawl out from behind all the live rock. I did my first drip acclimation today and hopefully I did it right. He is still alive, so maybe I did. Going in I was told if I get one of these I shouldn't be adding any other shrimp since they are agressive to other shrimp. He is so cool looking I couldn't resist. Plus he was only $11. I realized after I got home I forgot to ask about feeding him. I will be going back to the store tomorrow to pick up something. Sounds like a varity of things will work (flake, frozen, live . . . .) from reading around it sounds like feeding will need to be targeted.

post-74756-1346739572_thumb.jpg

post-74756-1346739586_thumb.jpg

post-74756-1346739601_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Adds since the last post:

* Purple fire fish

* Nano goby

* Purple mushroom

* Frogspawn

* Torch Coral

* Hammer Coral

* Xenia that had 4 small candy canes that came with it.

Tank is finally starting to look like it has some serious life in it. Review of my recent livestock:

Coral bandant shrimp: I wouldn't recommend getting one. He NEVER comes out unless iti s feeding time. He is awesome looking, but I never get to see him. I am also getting mixed opinions on what he is compatable with. Hobby store one sold him to me with the nano goby and another store told me, plus I read on line that you shouldn't have them together. So far so good

Nano goby: I got him knowing I might not see him much, but because I plan on getting several to add life to the tank with very minimal bio load. Happy with him so far, but don't see him much.

Torch, Hammer, Frogspawn: I bought these based on tips from the hobby store and because they looked cool. I have since learned from reading on line they can kill neighboring corals. Had I of known this I probably only would have gotton one of them. Again, I am disappointed with local store advice.

All of the coral I bought earlier hasn't grown much over the last 2 months other than the Watermelon that has doubled in size and is now expanding onto the rock around it.

Purple fire fish: He is my favorate so far and still getting used to the tank so he hides a lot. He is starting to come out more, but is very skittish. He zips to the back of the tank sometimes when I walk up to look at him.

I appear to have an additional astrea snail crusing around the tank. I couldn't tell what it was at first when it was small. But it appears to be growing a "hat" now.

I still really like watching the hermit crabs rock climbing, falling, climbing, chaning shells . . . . .

I still haven't paid more than $20 for any of the coral and most cost $10. Despite this, it is really starting to look nice.

• 3 weeks later...

I am pissed!! I was adding a piece of coral a friend gave me last night and while I was rearranging it in the tank my purple fire fish freaked out. I heard a splash, thought he was trying to jump out, then I saw him acting all funny swimming weakly at the bottom of the tank. He was dead this morning. I have no idea what happened to him. No sign of illness or anything. I am wondering if he smashed into the rocks and hit his head real hard??

My first death. Haven't even lost a snail. Darn!

I just added a small clown 2 days ago. I am pretty sure he had nothing to do with it He hasn't been chasing him around or anything. I did notice he was swimming in a different part of the tank. More towards the top instead of at the bottom where he swam prior to buying the clown. Since I also have a Coral Bandit shrimp I wonder if the shrimp was chasing him out of the rocks? Again, no sign of stress or anything though.

Checked the water chemicals, all perfect there.

• 2 months later...

Over 6 months and I am still really enjoying my tank. I hang out watching what is going on there at least 30 minutes every night and some days I stop by several times. I have added several more pieces of livestock. I came to the conclusion my fire fish died because he crashed into a rock when I was putting new coral in the tank.

I added a yellow clown goby a month or so back. He was looking quite thin on my diet of Cyclopeze and misus shrip so based on advice from the local store I added roe to my feeding regimine and I am now feeding that 2 times per day. I am also feeding pellet one time per day. For newbies reading this thread make sure and ask what you should feed each new fish when you buy them and how often you should feed them. People working at the hobby stores assume you know what you are doing and I have ended up at home with a fish that wouldn't eat properly several times now. You can get tips in the forums, but sometimes the information isn't accurate or is conflicting.

The yellow clown goby is really cool and I would highly recommend him to anyone. I is always swiming through one coral or another, but seems to prefer sitting on top of the candy cane the best. Seems like and odd spot to me.

I recently added a purple ribbon gorgonian. It is my first venture into coral that I am told is harder to keep. I stuck it in a high flow area that everyone says you need to do so we will see what happens.

My nano goby completely disappeared. I have no idea what happened to him. I am moving him to item #2 that has died.

I have learned the one hitchhiker snail I picked up is a Stomatella.

I have also been moving coral around that doesn't reproduce. I moved some stuff from low in the tank to high, other stuff to high to low, and other stuff to areas with different flow rates. I have been very successful doing this.

I would also advise newbies to have plenty of extra hermit crab shells laying around of various sizes. My scarlet hermit crab just moved into what I thought was a giant shell that I thought I was dumb for picking out by the time I got home and realized how big it was compared to the other shells. For whatever reason, he likes it. The astrea shells the "experts" told me to get for the blue legged hermits have all been left in a pile unused and they have instead decided to move into other shells that I picked out more for decoration.

It is going to sound bad, based on everything I have read, but I have found doing 2 gallon water changes every 2 weeks is adequate. Nitrate has stayed at zero and all the other numbers are right on target. With my water changes I am blowing off all the detrius on the rocks and sucking crud out of the sand each time. Maybe that makes a difference over just taking water out and dumping new water in?

I have shared some pictures on my sky drive account. Take a look and let me know what you think or if you have advice on where coral should be relocated: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2876CBC6C5D9CF47!361&authkey=!ALzUr-2t2Y-7PdQ

Looking to start a nano tank and would appreciate if you could message me with any advice. Not sure what tank brand to buy (anything from 14 to 24 will do), what lighting should i get. I see dr f&s has tanks at different prices depending on the lighting you choose. How much money did you spend before buying any livestock?

• 2 years later...

I'm more lost than he is. :/ I wanted to see how the tank works without the mods. How necessary are they? I can't even figure out which lights to use when. Not to high jack a thread or anything. I'm just pointing out that these buggy biocubes are kind of a b***h for noobs. I noticed all my live rocks were bleaching out and all my coralline algae was dying off. Not what I want. I researched it. Come to find out, they need more than just light for food. I didn't go with live sand but mineral sand, which people were raving about but I don't like. I learned the biology of coralline algae and realized they need calcium, iron, magnesium for some. So I measured and got my parameters right for these. Two days later, my algae is growing AND my tank is starting to cycle. Don't know if that was the right thing, but that's what I did. Might not want to try it though. I sort of have a "friends don't let noobs lead noobs" attitude about this after I recieved bad advice on my first go and had to start over.

Archived