Coral Vue Hydros

Clown breeding

Blennylover14

Blennylover14

I have a breeding trio of clowns in a 30 long I was wondering if there's anything I can put in the tank with them that won't stress them or eat the eggs/fry..

Jawfish? Algae blenny???

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Justin

altolamprologus

You can put anything with them (within reason). They will defend the eggs but the larva will always get eaten anyway.

If you're trying to raise the babies, it's usually best to leave them alone, but since you need to remove the spawning tile before the hatch anyway, I don't see a problem in having peaceful fish with them

Blennylover14
You can put anything with them (within reason). They will defend the eggs but the larva will always get eaten anyway.

If you're trying to raise the babies, it's usually best to leave them alone, but since you need to remove the spawning tile before the hatch anyway, I don't see a problem in having peaceful fish with them

That's why I was thinking a algae blenny or some strict herbevoire that won't eat the fry

altolamprologus
That's why I was thinking a algae blenny or some strict herbevoire that won't eat the fry

The fry won't survive in the tank even if there isn't a predatory fish in there. They will be eaten by the clowns, corals, and filtration equipment the night they hatch

Also, "strictly herbivorous" fish will eat meat if the opportunity arises, and fish larva taste great

Congrats on the trio. It's rare to get a trio together, even rarer to get them to spawn. :)

altolamprologus
Congrats on the trio. It's rare to get a trio together, even rarer to get them to spawn. :)

Well it's not really the trio spawning. It's the male and female spawning and just tolerating the presence of the gender-neutral one and enjoying the fact that that one helps with the eggs so they don't have to.

Well it's not really the trio spawning. It's the male and female spawning and just tolerating the presence of the gender-neutral one and enjoying the fact that that one helps with the eggs so they don't have to.

Yeah, I know. However, I saw this video of somebody's clowns they posted on RC where there were two males fertilizing the clutch. It was a trio. It was the blue stripe clowns, like chrystopherous or something.

altolamprologus
Yeah, I know. However, I saw this video of somebody's clowns they posted on RC where there were two males fertilizing the clutch. It was a trio. It was the blue stripe clowns, like chrystopherous or something.

The second male was likely just a gender-neutral clown showing off his skills so the female accepts him as her mate if the current male dies.

The second male was likely just a gender-neutral clown showing off his skills so the female accepts him as her mate if the current male dies.

Probs... IDK... It looked like he was fertilizing. The eggs were taking his... Um... http://youtu.be/LjyLN4vPwGQ?t=23s

Blennylover14

My 2nd male is the smallest.. He just guards the anemone area where the other two spawn... He's just a body guard haha but the female accepts him and the other male does to

They spawn ALOT

I'll snap a quick video for you guys when I can

My 2nd male is the smallest.. He just guards the anemone area where the other two spawn... He's just a body guard haha but the female accepts him and the other male does to

They spawn ALOT

I'll snap a quick video for you guys when I can

Please do, always fun to see. :naughtydance:

Archived