Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Magical Fantastical - BioCube 29g

boxofh2o

Test results:

IMG_00000021.jpg

Looks like I'm good to go!

Now for CUC..... Any suggestions?

No reefcleaners as I live in Canada :(

After reading quite a bit on forums I finally decided recently (translate : my wife gave me permission) to make the plunge and ordered an 29 Gallon Oceanic Biocube.

LOL how do you make the plunge?

great start!

LOL how do you make the plunge?

great start!

You make the plunge by DIVING right in ! :D

Idiom:

take the plunge Informal: To begin an unfamiliar venture, especially after hesitating

You make the plunge by DIVING right in ! :D

Idiom:

take the plunge Informal: To begin an unfamiliar venture, especially after hesitating

hahahaha yeah I was familiar with take the plunge, not make the plunge!

What fish are you thinking about getting?

hahahaha yeah I was familiar with take the plunge, not make the plunge!

What fish are you thinking about getting?

Still thinking, but a few contenders:

- Purple firefish

- Pair of clowns

- midas blennie

- pistol & goby

- i like jawfish but not sure yet.

A few questions:

- whats good to use to secure the rock? Right now they are just sitting together. I liked the idea of using acrylic rod, but it seems the places that sell it are only open when I'm at work. Also i think i would have to drill, or creatively find existing holes that go through, but I'm not sure the angles would be right. I'm thinking of gluing, but how easy is that to undo should i decide to re-scape. Any other options?

- is it really possible that my tank has cycled in just less than 3 weeks? Or was the ammonia die off from my live rock not enough? I only had about 5 pounds of live to 12 of dry. Should I add another ammonia source to confirm cycle?

You can use marine epoxy made for corals. It will keep your rocks pretty secure.

The cycle, in my experience, makes or breaks the tank. I've started tanks where I rushed through the cycle and ended up having huge algae blooms a few months later. You can start stocking corals soon. Softies would be good right now. I wouldn't add a fish for another month-month and a half just to make sure.

You can use marine epoxy made for corals. It will keep your rocks pretty secure.

The cycle, in my experience, makes or breaks the tank. I've started tanks where I rushed through the cycle and ended up having huge algae blooms a few months later. You can start stocking corals soon. Softies would be good right now. I wouldn't add a fish for another month-month and a half just to make sure.

I definitely don't want to rush the fish.

I was thinking of cuc this week. Maybe a couple corals in a week or two.

I'm a bit concerned that I may not have enough algae to support a cuc yet. The diatoms have subsided at this point. I cleaned a thin layer of algae off the glass this week. It was thick enough to be annoying to look at. I think i detect it coming back. Maybe should have left it for snail lunch. The rock that was dry rock previously doesn't have a ton yet. The live rock has a bit. Starting to see some very fine (almost can't see it unless it catches my eye right) hair algae in one or two places. The sand seems to be yellowish in patches especially in the corners. But over all i dont consider it a lot.

The trochus snail that hitchhiked in on the live rock is still going strong. But he doesn't leave that rock. Never to the other rock sand or glass.

The other concern is it hasn't quite been 3 weeks (3 on Monday) since setup. Seems too soon to me for a cycle. I'm thinking of adding bits of food daily to see how my parameters react?

Was there ever an ammonia reading? The die off might not have been enough. I would add a small source (food or shrimp/whatever) and test the readings over a couple of days.

Archived