Top Shelf Aquatics

white spots with tiny legs on glass?

ifynanceu

does anybody out there know what tiny little bright white spots with tiny little legs can be on the glass? my lfs said they are sea fleas? but i have never heard of that...i am unsure what they are and if they are harmful, but my tank has good levels of all tests (the bads are low to non, and the goods are just about on target or there) nothing is out of line. it is a 50 gal tank, has 1 fire clown, 1 rose bta (the real one), some electric blue mushrooms, misc zoo's and a clean up crew...had a powder brown tang, but lost it to ich/stress (ph was like 0, has since been remedied) but the fire clown is now showing signs of stress/ich...is there anything to dose the tank with that is invert safe? too hard to remove the fish for a f/w dip

thanks, i was worried...what could be causing stress for the fish? the temp stays at 77.6+/- .5degrees or so...never more than a full degree change

matt the fiddler

how long has the tank been set up? it sounds like a lot of stuff for as early in the life of a tank as i think you are...

how much rock do you have? lighting?

- i woudl also be worried abotu the BTA. as simply they are one of the pickiest creatures fo staying alive out there

2 months, have 65lbs of fiji rock, 50lbs of sand, 2x96w csl power quads, 1x55w sunday actinic pc, use tropic marin salt...slaifert & kent supplements....

if you look at your live rock...do you see the same things growing on tiny stalks? I think its just part of their life cycle to detach from the stalks and then chill on your glass...this is just what Ive read recently...

I think they're called hydras or something like that

nothing bad though...your fish should eat um I think.

ifynanceu

i only have 1 fish, so it makes it hard, but i am seeing signs of stress on my fish (a fire clown). i am going to do a large water change tomorrow am and see if that helps...if not, i may sell the system off and set up 2 more small nano's...my nano is bangin' like mad, but my 50gal isn't looking so hot. not doing anything different and am using the same additives etc...

dont sell the system. a good reef tank will be a baby for the first year or so. also what do you mean by "signs of stress"? this could be many things with a more accurate description we could help more. if pHdropped to 0 EVERYTHING in the tank would be dead and your hand would dissolve if you put it in the tank. i odnt think even a gradual change to a pH of 7.8 or so would cause that much harm to the inhabitants. as far as treating the clown do a large water change, check your parameters and post them here. if we have a better idea of what is happening in your tank we can possibly help you. also if the pH dropped and you raised it too quickly that may have been the cause of stress. as the saying goes "nothing good happens fast in marine aquaria".

ifynanceu

the ph was very low, and i raised it over th course of several days, but have not checked it...i am using kent's superbuffer-dkh (purple label) and did a standard dose the first day, and have reduced the amount used by 2/3rds or so for a total of 3 doses..i am going to re-test ph tomorrow... i had a powder brown tang that kept spotting. they would go away, then come back...until finally it's skin looked really lumpy...i was able to get him out for a f/w dip, but it overstressed him and killed the fish. the clown is getting a more chalky look to it..not very pronounced, but noticable...no real spots to speak of...mushrooms and polyps seem fine...tank has been running around 77-78 farenheit...also, have been getting alot of green film (light algae) on the glass/acrylic, and alot of brown on the sand..many say the lights run too long, which may be the cause of the brown...no red slime though...nothing like that. i am doing a 15gallon change in the morning so hopefully that will help

Archived