Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hobden's 35g SPS dominated reef build

thehobdenmarina

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buddythelion

What sand did you use for your tank? I'm looking for black sand but not magentic. My previous black sand had a magentic property to it. Tank's looking great btw!

thehobdenmarina
What sand did you use for your tank? I'm looking for black sand but not magentic. My previous black sand had a magentic property to it. Tank's looking great btw!

Thanks, that's actually the same problem I have with mine, haven't seen any negative effects "yet"... however over the next few water changes I plan on removing it and putting a half inch to an inch of white sande just to solve that problem and also to help reflect some light to the underside of my sps frags. Oh and in answer to the question the sand is Tahitian moon sand. It does have iron in it, which from what I have read does not have negative effect as copper and other metals, but its still a worry of mine.

thehobdenmarina

Got a Few new SPS frags on the weekend and had to rearrange the rock work for them, but very nice to have some more colorful sps, aside from birds nest and pocci

Purple Bonsai (Garf)

DSCN3534.jpg

If anyone could ID these that would be cool, though the pics dont show the colors exactly as they are

DSCN3535.jpg

DSCN3536.jpg

DSCN3537.jpg

Nice tank and YouTube video. Thanks. Do you know how to put a link to your build in your sig? Might get more traffic that way.

thehobdenmarina
Nice tank and YouTube video. Thanks. Do you know how to put a link to your build in your sig? Might get more traffic that way.

yeah I actually had one, but got a few rude pm's in regards to my youtube channel so took them out, I may repost it to my signature eventually. meh... wth I'll do it now

BTW for what its worth don't use eggcrate as a lid lol... Your montipora may get tan lines like this red one here.... Time for a screen upgrade

DSCN3518.jpg

thehobdenmarina
how'd you attach the monti cap to your overflow. i tried and it kept falling off :/

lots of super glue gel and patience my friend ;)

I kind of built a little pedestal for it first out of glue, let it dry over night then glued it on the next day

TheKleinReef
lots of super glue gel and patience my friend ;)

I kind of built a little pedestal for it first out of glue, let it dry over night then glued it on the next day

i shall try your method. i seriously need a better spot for my monticap it keeps getting knocked off by my darn hermit.

thehobdenmarina

well my approach was definitely unconventional to say the least, but since rock face and tank space was limited I decided this would be a good use of space, with in a month the monti has attached to the overflow (grown onto it about 1") and about another 1" give or take of growth into the water column

thehobdenmarina

got a new camera lastnight, full DSLR, my first one, still figuring it out but got 2 decent shots! never been able to capture the fish on camera with my old on cause they move too fast!

This is Finnegan!

_DSC0025.jpg

And Alister and Gusto

_DSC0008.jpg

I'll read the instructions tonight ;) and play around with it over the weekend to hopefully figure out a few more tricks :P

thehobdenmarina

So I think it was last week/weekend I posted about my hermit crab releasing copepods from inside his shell. well tonight I caught it on camera, And it turns out, they are copepods(and poop too) heres a little video on my youtube tank journal, sorry if its a bit shaky i was filming while feeding the baby! Talk about multi tasking

anyways I thought it was kinda peaceful to see some real nature taking place, so enjoy!

hermit feeding fish

thehobdenmarina

yup, turns out he's been letting copepods breed in his shell, I thought maybe they were bay hermits until i got a better look, it seems to be a weekly thing for him but its the first time I caught it on camera. very interesting to watch! thats nature at its best there

thehobdenmarina
Wow, nice job. The tank is real slick. Seeing yours makes me regret not having used black sand!

thanks :) it is nice sand, but a real pain in the ass, cause its magnetic, I am slowly taking it out over water changes.. :( really makes the colors pop though

• 3 weeks later...
thehobdenmarina

well I'm online so I figured I'm due for an update. here are a couple of shots I took, after rearranging the aquascape, as well as picking up a few new sps

here is the top down shot, cant get a good FTS right now, cause my baby is asleep in my lounging chair lol....

_DSC0367.jpg

Purple/pink acro

_DSC0326.jpg

Green acro with purple tips and green polyps

_DSC0234.jpg

mixed zoa colony

_DSC0331.jpg

and a decent shot I snapped of the frogspawn

Untitled-1-4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
thehobdenmarina

sooooooooooooooooooo.... you like stuff? jk

So I still cant get a good FTS ;) but I am trying to figure it out, this camera responds so much more different then my old one. sucked out about 5g of water/sand today

anyway, look who joined the bare bottom club (almost, theres still abit under the rock work and in the back corner)

FTS (excuse the mess) (oh yeah, I was watching family guy) :P

_DSC0539.jpg

Top Down

_DSC0534.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
thehobdenmarina

Thanks I had just done a water change before this. Anyway, we just moved so the tank had to be moved too. Unfortunately I lost those 2 acro colonies in the move along with my cherub angel. :( a sad day indeed, however the tank is back up and running again so since the camera is still packed I will post a few crappy phone pics.

As you can see the aquascape is completely changed up, tank is barebottom, and pretty full now with 28 types of zoas 6 acro species, as well as a few birdsnests, lps, and 3 monti species soon to be 4 with the addition of some purple monti.

DSC_0688.jpg

DSC_0680.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

555555555.jpg

DSC_0711.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived