Coral Vue Hydros

121a's Evolve 4 New LEDs

121a

Well i got the next batch of LEDs in and wired them up. Holy crap this thing is totally insane now. I noticed that the reds in the acans appear to pop like crazy. Can't wait to get more coral in! And i know, 20x3w LEDs over a 4gal is above overkill B) B) B)

Actually, I am running very close to 100%. When I get new corals (they come from either 250w or 400w halides) I will turn it down to acclimate but so far I haven't seen any bleaching, which I am surprised at.

I will but I'm having an issue with my green monti, it seems to be bleaching but the lights are turned down and the levels are acceptable. It seems I did loose a snail and hermit so maybe that caused a spike and bleached the monti. Will do a large wc tomorrow and hopefully it'll come back.

• 5 months later...

Well, so far the tank is doing alright. Have more SPS, acans, and zoas in it now. However I think, know, that 20x3w led were overkill. I have removed 6 bringing me back down to 14 but I am going to do an experimental build with 9LEDs (4xRB, 2xViolet, 2x4,500K, and 1xRed) mounted on a CPU heatsink running 60* optics. I have come to realize that all my corals lost color with 20 leds and that is a key sign that it was too much. I think the 9x3w will be very cool.

Experimental LED layout

ledlayout_zps70ca68d7.png

I finished the new light which I have decided to call The Power Polygon. I am extremely pleased at how it came out. I originally intended it to have a 660nm deep red led but it completely overpowered the other leds. There was a noticable warmer color in the middle and cooler colors surrounding it. I replaced it with a royal blue.

The final layout of the leds is:

TV RB RB

NW RB NW

RB CY TV

Running 60* optics 12" off the water. I did order 80* optics for better spread as I have some dark patches that I would like to get rid of. The color however is spectacular, I really like it. The fixture is currently at about 60% power and will remain there until I see how the coral responds.

Here are some new updated pics:

IMG_1085_zps7d103230.jpg

IMG_1087_zpse84f5b60.jpg

IMG_1093_zpsc5cc4ef4.jpg

IMG_1092_zps5564e9b8.jpg

IMG_1102_zps24ab86d0.jpg

IMG_1094_zps466f5f30.jpg

IMG_1095_zps6bae3d3e.jpg

IMG_1097_zps876d0955.jpg

Some of the SPS have lost a lot of there color which was from too much light. Hopefully the Power Polygon provides just the perfect amount of light and they begin to color back up and grow.

this is awsome, its great to see another aqueon evolve 4 being used for a pico reef. mine is still pretty young but i love it, though i replaced the stock light with a wave point micro sun 6 inch 8 watt.

Archived