Pod Your Reef

Aqua Medic Ocean Lights - Opinons?

dmw913

Anybody out there heard of these? They are apparently a 10 inch HQI pendant in a modern stainless fixture out of Europe and supposedly the next big thing. Both 150 and 250 watts and 10,000 and 20,000K

Any experience with them would be really helpful. I'm considering adding a 150 w. 20,000 k to the new 30 I'm setting up.

Thanks

Denise

I dont know much about them, but there is a 250 watt with a 12000k bulb and its on e-bay for like $240, which seems like a good deal to me. Might want to check that out. It would be perfect for a 30.

ReeferMonkey

These lights are pretty well-renowned. They're pricey but USUALLY high quality - some people report issues with humming ballasts. The Aqua Medic is their new, small fixture - seems pretty nice, the price is much more competitive than for some of their larger fixtures.

They're DE, so they put out more light than an SE of comparable size. The housing is pretty sleek and they hang from the ceiling, if that works for you. On the flip side, the bulbs are more expensive (but they do last a bit longer, 18 mos. rather than 12).

Search RC or RDO for "Aquaspacelight" for many different threads on them.

Uniballer

I bought one a few weeks ago, i got a hook up so i got the 250 watter for real cheap. Its a very very nice unit and the ballast runs cool to the touch, just keep in mind that a hqi puts out a whole lot more light than a standard screw in MH. So much that mine has caused me to step up to a 40 breeder so i dont bleach out everything. I love mine and the only problem i have had was the second time i ever turned mine on i blew the ballast. why? i do not know. But what i do know is that my lfs contacted the vendor and I had a new one by the end of the week no questions asked. So in the end it is a real nice light that comes with nice service, at a nice price.

Uniballer

althought the blub is called a 10k it is actually some where around 13.4k giving it a very nice look. I have not seen the 20k so i dont know how blue it is. If i were you i would get the 250 for the 30 because its only like a 30 dollar differnce ( just dont do it on a 15 like i did)

• 2 weeks later...

I read that some of the magnetic ballasts hum but that you can exchange them for another one that may not hum. I didn't take the chance and just went with a 150 watt AquaSpaceLight with an electronic ballast to light my 21 gallon Via Aqua tank. 150 watts is probably more appropriate for a 21 gallon tank anyway. I bought it at premiumaquatics after considering the OcenLight first. I was told to that the ocean light has a more crude fit and finish. Moreover the housing is not powder coated. I realize this isn't important to many but all things considered the 150 was a better choice for me.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...ode=Aquamedic-H

I would prefer mine to know the words. J/k :D

The humming would drive me crazy and, for me, that is a very short trip.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this the same lights that you are all talking about? I was wanting to put it over a 20L tank..........I have provided the link. It looked like a great price to me. Anyone have suggestions about the intensity over the 20L or the light? I want to be able to keep just about anything eventually.

http://www.hellolights.com/aqmeaboc.html

Archived