Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I have a problematic brain! help me!

Boomerblaster

Boomerblaster

Hey everyone,

I have had this open brain for a little more than 2 weeks, and i had a nice place on my rock where it fits perfect. It is almost like a cradle for the brain, and it sits fine on there. I didn't want to put it on the sand b/c it would take up too much room.

I am still fairly new, but i have had my tank for almost 3 months. I think the brain is acting kind of funny. I don't think that it ever is fully open when the daylights are on. Whenever i see it at night, it seems so much more inflated. In the beginning it wouldn't inflate at all in the day, and it looked very skinny, and where the little "bubbles" that puff up are looked like little ribs. So it kind of looked like a skeleton, but it was not the skeleton showing. If that makes any sense.

But now it looks to be a little more fuller during the daylight hours in the tank. I never really have seen the tenticles that they feed with? I have tried putting some little chunks of brine on it (even though i don't see the tenticles), but my 6 line always takes it! So what should i do, to train it to come out? I'm confused with its behavior. I have a 2x65 PC fixture. Everything in the tank (purple shrooms, striped shrooms, candy cane, another TBS brain, GSP, sponges, 6line, pep shrimp) So what should i do? THanks!!

-Jonathan

i have a green brain. when I first put it in, i placed it in on the rocks it didn't seem to like it (not puffy during the day, saw skeleton during the night). Then i was told (from an LFS, none the less) to place the brain on the sand instead. since then it's been big and puffy during the day and tentacles come out at night. one thing for sure, they get REALLY BIG when they are puffed. I feed it small pieces of cooked shrimp every 2-3 days.

try it on the sand and see what happens...

donteatthenano

definitely move it to the sand. also, it needs to be in a location that receives enough flow to remove any detritus or sand that may settle on it.

another thing you may want to consider: sometimes soft corals release toxins that could be harmful to your lps corals. i had to move my brain coral away from my toadstool leather because the two of them weren't getting along.

hth

jason

c_hemmerich

i had the same problem with my re brain but ever since i moved it into the sand it has been perfect. i also felt that it never expanded to it's fullest but now it really does and it is substancially bigger than i ever saw it and it's tentacles stick out now... put it in the sand man!!!

yah I have mentioned this before, my brain doesn't seem to like anything touching it. They are substrate dwellers by nature so.... time to aquascape! ;)

Originally posted by donteatthenano

another thing you may want to consider: sometimes soft corals release toxins that could be harmful to your lps corals. i had to move my brain coral away from my toadstool leather because the two of them weren't getting along.

This is called allelopathy.... and yes they are sand only dwellers, they will get irritated and eventually torn from the motions against the rocks. Sand only as Krispy said....

Archived