inTank Media Baskets

CalmSeasQuest's Desktop Nano and DIY CSQ Skimmer

CalmSeasQuest

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
CalmSeasQuest

Thanks everyone and sorry for the lack of updates. Business demands have severely limited my tank time for the past 6 months.

I'm pleased to share that this build did win the 2012 Nano Tank contest. The prize was an Orphek DIF50 LED pendant which is still sitting in the box waiting for a suitable project tank.

I really enjoyed that build and learned a lot in the process. The use of acrylic proved challenging from a maintenance perspective as it was a chore to keep it clear of any algae - especially the acrylic rod that was exposed to lots of flow. In the end, I grew tired of the overall design, favoring a more natural looking reef. Perhaps the greatest part of that build was the skimmer, which continues to perform wonderfully today. I just broke the tank down to start the 2013 version - I'm starting with a clean (black) slate...

b5afa5bc28a4b3c917fb8ee1c1170e13.jpg
e97b9fda578ca85d885011d858ced211.jpg
This is my first build using a black substrate, looking forward to seeing how colors pop. I do notice the tank looks dimmer with less light reflecting off the bottom which is fine as I'll be able to run the ReefBrites a bit more (they look great with the black bottom.)
Dosed a bit of ammonia and MB-7. That coupled with the MarinePure bio spheres recycled from the last build should make for a short (if any) cycle.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...
Aquacrazed

Great setup! Wondering if you have an update? Does the glare from the light and the lights hitting the water surface bother you?