Cultivated Reef

2 X 60 Watts pc for SPS and Clams

Kelpie

I just got my two csl 2 X 60 Watts pc + moonlight fixtures today (two for $92.00 each!). The literature that came with each of them states that csl has kept Acropora, Hydnophora, Favia, and Caulastrea for over 10 years with excellent growth and coloration with these lights! I had planed to suppliment my reef light with a 50 Watt MH but mebe just using these 80 Watts of pc would be adequate (I don't want clams though). What is the concensus here about that?

Furthermore I wanted to use the other fixture over my refugium but it came with a 10K and an actinic. I don't know if these would be best for macroalgae, specifically gracialla. Again what is the thought here?

I don't usually recommend PC's for SPS, especially for beginners. AS usual water quality is of utmost importance. It can be done (brooklyn Johhny's tank) but it is not an easy task. If you love SPS halides are best. Some SPS will not hold their color under PC's.

don't be afraid. Once your tank is six months old or so and you have confidence you'll want the SPS and Clams. It is best to spend 200 dollars on a halide than 125 on Pc's and upgrade when you figure you can't keep the animals you want. besides all your sofites will do better under the haldie as well.

I bought a small frag to test out my PCs( 2x36w 7100k and 12000k). It is more of a deeper water acro, Brown color. So far so good. I have had it for over two months and it has not faded or anything. My Ballast even went out two weeks ago and I used a back up 15w 50/50 24" florecent.

hummmm what type of tapeworm are ya into Scolex? LOL

I'm glad to hear it's doing well. I may try it without the retro first then.

I'm disturbed that your ballast failed so soon though :(

Thats cool! You are the first to identify my name! Distrubed is not the word. Try angry/ frustrated. My LFS gave me a recipt for the new ballast but I lost it. I hope they remember me, or I find it. The reason I picked that name is because I was convinced I had one. I could not gain any weight no matter what. I need help making an over flow box. I am thinking of using my penguin 170 and turning it into one. Any Ideas?

Archived