Cultivated Reef

May 2012 Reef Profile - Gena

Christopher Marks

Thank you!!!! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me :)

could you describe upgrading the lighting? why did you choose the magenta module? how did you go about installing them? any pictures of the lighting setup itself?

i went to my LFS hoping to pick some up, sadly they don't stock them... so i'll be ordering them online this week. but i've already got the maxi-jet 600 and rotating flow head, really cool device that flow head.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
could you describe upgrading the lighting? why did you choose the magenta module? how did you go about installing them? any pictures of the lighting setup itself?

i went to my LFS hoping to pick some up, sadly they don't stock them... so i'll be ordering them online this week. but i've already got the maxi-jet 600 and rotating flow head, really cool device that flow head.

I actually chose the magenta after seeing my friend's tank (surgicalsense) with the red/magenta light in it. It really makes the colors pop.

Installing is fairly easy. Just gut your hood, but save the fans and the reflector. We screwed the pros onto the reflector. Doing it this way avoids making holes in the actual hood itself.

Page 16 of my tank thread is where I talk about the light installation. Unfortunately I didn't do a step-by-step guide with it. Here's a photo from that page though:

hood1.jpg

You'll definitely want to keep the fans going as the lights themselves get pretty warm. It will extend the life of the LEDs if you keep them cool.

If you live in California, look into ordering them from Marinedepot.com. You can use the NOCALTAX code and it ends up being cheaper than ordering directly from Ecoxotic. I ordered my magenta that way.

looks amazing!

Thank you :happy:

christan1959

Hi Gena,

I am a hobbyist from Singapore, and I just wanna say yours is the most beautiful nano tank I have seen (I've been in the hobby for 40+ years).

And your tribute to your late dad is really heart-warming (I am a father of three teens, none of whom picked up the hobby).

Keep up the good work, and keep us in the loop of developments.

Congrats!

chris

Hi Gena,

I am a hobbyist from Singapore, and I just wanna say yours is the most beautiful nano tank I have seen (I've been in the hobby for 40+ years).

And your tribute to your late dad is really heart-warming (I am a father of three teens, none of whom picked up the hobby).

Keep up the good work, and keep us in the loop of developments.

Congrats!

chris

Thank you, Chris! That is so kind of you to say :happy:

Hopefully it will just take some time for your teens to come around to the aquarium world. I wouldn't be surprised if one or a couple have a tank someday!!!!!!

Oh...and :welcome:

Feel free to drop in on my NC12 tank thread whenever you have a moment. You can build up your post count :)

christan1959

Yes, I read several of your posts - you are prolific!

Interesting that you chose dry rocks as base. I think there is merit to that; and it's evident in the outcome of your tank.

You got some very beautiful inverts too - including things which I've not come across here in Singapore (which is supposed to be a tropical fish hub).

Do you live in LA?

chris

Yes, I read several of your posts - you are prolific!

Interesting that you chose dry rocks as base. I think there is merit to that; and it's evident in the outcome of your tank.

You got some very beautiful inverts too - including things which I've not come across here in Singapore (which is supposed to be a tropical fish hub).

Do you live in LA?

chris

I guess I do have a lot to say on here :lol: I'm actually a quiet person by nature though :happy:

I've been very happy with the dry rock. Just be cautious with the frags you add in....that's where my nuissance algae (bryopsis) came from.

I live in Los Angeles. Makes it incredibly easy to get any specimen I could want, for my tanks.

christan1959

Not been to LA, just passed through a couple of times.

Yes, I am surprised by your collection.

That nuisance algae you mentioned - I think my tank has it now. Came with a piece of blue xenia.

How did you beat it in the end?

Am manually removing - but it comes back within a week.

chris

Hah...I haven't beaten it yet!!!!!! I'm in the process of raising my magnesium level with Kent Tech M. I'll leave it raised for a few weeks in the hopes of totally wiping it out. Right now I have to manually remove it when it grows too much. Since I've started the Tech M, I can tell it's stopped growing, or at least slowed down. I've beaten it before, in another tank. Hopefully I can do it again :happy:

Gena,

Congrats on your spectacular tank! It got my attention real fast because I have a New JBJ 24 that I upgraded the lights to the same panorama pro modules configuration as your tank. Now I know I made a good choice and there is some potential at least for a similar success. Thanks for the great write up and the ideas it has inspired for me.

• 2 weeks later...
An epic little tank

Gena,

Congrats on your spectacular tank! It got my attention real fast because I have a New JBJ 24 that I upgraded the lights to the same panorama pro modules configuration as your tank. Now I know I made a good choice and there is some potential at least for a similar success. Thanks for the great write up and the ideas it has inspired for me.

Thank you both very much!

The panorama pros are very popular and people are having great luck with them. You definitely made a good choice :)

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats Gena, I'm thinking about upgrading my lighting to the Ecoxotic 2x Panorama Pro LED Module from the stock PC lighting like you did(I have a 12 gallon JBJ Nano Cube DX)...could you give me info on specs,supplier, etc., thanks for your input and time. I've only had my nano for 16 months, still learning.....thanks again

Hi Gena, I'm thinking about getting a Maxi-jet 600 and installing the Hydor deflector...after researching the Maxi-jet, I noticed lots of negative comments, mostly about noise and suction cups not holding, I'd like to install it on the back wall of my 12 gallon nano (JBJ),have you had any issues? Thanks for your info. Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats Gena, I'm thinking about upgrading my lighting to the Ecoxotic 2x Panorama Pro LED Module from the stock PC lighting like you did(I have a 12 gallon JBJ Nano Cube DX)...could you give me info on specs,supplier, etc., thanks for your input and time. I've only had my nano for 16 months, still learning.....thanks again

I suck for not logging in sooner and seeing this question!!!!!! You can order the Panorama Pros from Ecoxotic..they are a great company to work with. If you are in California, it's a little cheaper to order them through Marine Depot since you can use the NOCALTAX code and not pay sales tax. The LED lights were a great upgrade. I have no regrets doing it. Make sure you keep your stock fans though. The lights still get very hot. In fact, in the summertime, I remove the splash guard to get more circulation in there. It helps a lot. I can consistently keep my temp around 81 degrees even on very hot days. Let me know if I didn't answer all of your questions.

OK...I suck <_<, I did not see that you won TOTM Gena! Congrats girl! Well deserved my friend :)

No...like I said...I suck for not checking in here sooner!!!!!! Thanks, Maria :)

Hi Gena, I'm thinking about getting a Maxi-jet 600 and installing the Hydor deflector...after researching the Maxi-jet, I noticed lots of negative comments, mostly about noise and suction cups not holding, I'd like to install it on the back wall of my 12 gallon nano (JBJ),have you had any issues? Thanks for your info. Bob

I wasn't able to use the suction cups with the maxi jet because I couldn't get it to fit in that third chamber with the suction cups on!!!! Unfortunately there was a lot of noise from the pump...however, I solved that problem by putting some filter foam media underneath the pump. It totally reduces the vibration. The foam doesn't gather detritus either so you don't have to change it out all that often.

Way to go!!!!!

Thanks TuLIPgirl :)

• 6 months later...

Amaziing, Hopefully my JBJ12 will look that nice one day :)

Thanks so much :D

It was a really enjoyable tank to have. :happy:

Guess I need to subscribe to this thread so I don't overlook postings!!!!!

Archived