Cultivated Reef

Mantis Shrimp Research Tank

Spencer7

As part of a high school course called Honors Science Research I am doing a experimental based research project involving Stomatopods...

When I'm done results will be posted along with a paper...

Tank

12" Glass Cube 7g

43257bbd.jpg

Filtration

AC70 Power Filter

10 pds of Tahitian Black Sand

Thank you for the suggestions, that was very helpful :D

My boss is going to a wholesaler on Tuesday, said if he saw a good mantis he will make sure to get it

Islandoftiki

I have what I'm pretty sure is a Gonodactylellus viridis, and would highly recommend it. Very active, stays small, is very hearty and has a ton of personality.

If you have any questions or need any help with your tank build, let me know. I'm always happy to help!

Ccapasso and I seem to have two of the sickest mantis tank builds going right now. I suspect he will be more than happy to offer up any needed advice as well.

I'll be following along, and available for suggestions as needed!

Islandoftiki
1/2" glass? overkill much?

At least he won't have to worry about the mantis breaking the glass!

Although I doubt my little guy could break skin. I'm not going to test that theory.

I have what I'm pretty sure is a Gonodactylellus viridis, and would highly recommend it. Very active, stays small, is very hearty and has a ton of personality.

If you have any questions or need any help with your tank build, let me know. I'm always happy to help!

Ccapasso and I seem to have two of the sickest mantis tank builds going right now. I suspect he will be more than happy to offer up any needed advice as well.

I'll be following along, and available for suggestions as needed!

Indeed. Just let me know if you need anything. I'm still new to Mantis, but have done a lot of research and will be getting a Peacock to replace the G. Viridis that I previously had (sold).

1/2" glass? overkill much?

At least he won't have to worry about the mantis breaking the glass!

Although I doubt my little guy could break skin. I'm not going to test that theory.

No way he's breaking that glass, but your skin - Yup. The owner of a LFS said there was one smaller than what you and I had that he found on a rock after cleaning it. Shrimp was nearly dead but still popped him in the finger and broke skin, lol.

Tough little buggers but an awesome species.

Thanks! I will make sure to ask you for help if (when) needed!

The tank was in our basement (leftover) and i got it for free

I needed a cube anyway as it makes testing and *putting contraptions in easier* (giggity)

The thick glass will be helpful later on...

• 2 weeks later...

Progress....

d94531f7.jpg

Modded AC70 running FW (leak test)

c460c413.jpg

I might be getting a Boost LED + Clip for the tank, we'll see, so far I am very happy with how it is looking

I put in sand (settling)

Ordering Boost LED Par30 with clamp for the tank

My boss ordered a shrimp from a whole saler for super cheap, however we have no idea what were getting (literally just says "Stomatopod")

If it is the right size and in good health, i will have it in my tank this weekend but we'll see...

If it is not a good pick, i have a back up one, the only reason i am hesitant to take him now is b/c it's like 4 in long and too tame, i would prefer something for small and wild (good for experimenting)

2 Q's involving Gonodactylus smithii

Will his skin rot in LED?

Where to buy one?

(seems like there are less and less sellers)

Same Q's apply :P

It's between the two, whichever is availible, i personally like the Smithii b/c it's bigger...

It is a experimental based proposal involving Stomatopods, in the end i have a market/product

When the testing is done I will post a copy of my paper...

• 2 months later...

Sorry man, I have a Tri Color Par38 over the tank and have been procrastinating on getting the shrimp.

After trying to get a free one through my LFS (ony got spearers) I now have to pay a good deal to buy one online. Unfortunately I am broke after spending $500+ on my other tank after the equiptment crapped out

Now I'm leaving for three weeks. BTW I also got a $320 fishing rig and a $750 camera.

I will still follow through with the experiment, if not this one then I will use it for another, no matter what this will always be a experiment tank. I still deserve a punch in the face for being lazy.

Archived