SaltCritters.com

Green wormy things are taking over(Neomeris)

RK_tek

Blubbernaut, that's the best thing you could have done. I wish I had done that when they first showed up in my tank

brandon429

RK I have linked your thread to several reefcentral ones where those with these as popups were told to just sit back

and let the tank mature.

:)

Some updates to treating neomeris with vinegar are in my 'alternative ways of dealing with algae' thread

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this RK? I'm setting up a display refugium and a local offered me some Neomaris annulata. I'm thinking I'll pass after seeing this thread, but I'm not sure if it's dominance is a lack of competition, phosphate leech, etc? With organic free land-based dry rock and plenty of other macroalgae, will it be able to take over?

I have had them in my tank for months, and I'm always sad when they die. They live in a couple places in my tank, but I wish there were more.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to reply, I never got the notification. The Neomeris is still hanging in there. Some of it is doing quite well. I ended up removing all the corals from my largest rock and acid dipping it. I have not returned it to the tank yet as I do not want the Neomeris to form on it again. Several of the pieces of rock in my tank and all the rock in my girlfriend's tank was dry rock from a land based quarry. The neomeris doesn't care and if anything prefers this rock over other live rock with a coralline algae surface. The spores can remain dormant for up to two years, so whoever I got the Neo from may have not ever known it was in their tank. I'm going to have to set up a quarantine tank for all my coral and get all new rock and sand for my tank in hopes that no spores make their way over. I have yet to find anything chemical that will kill the Neo and not the coral, nor have I found any creatures that will eat it.

Archived