Cultivated Reef

Help me pick out a Macro Lens

Criley7

I have been looking to buy a Macro Lens. I am going for the ability to take very close Macro shots of my tank mostly, but i will be also using it when I go to the Cayman Islands next month. But to be completely honest I don't know how they all compare and which ones are better then others. I was looking at this lens and many others on this site. Please let me know what you guys think and what you would recommend. I need to stay as much below $500 as I can. I have a Canon EOS T3 that the lens will be for.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-Non-Mf...9991007960?r=FE

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-Fixed-...009033490N?r=FE

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-Non-Mf...999042472J?r=FE

I definitely want a good deal of magnification. I would like to be able to take close ups and also Macro shots of the polyp extension on all my SPS.

Yes, the new one is USM, older is not.

Awesome thanks Tron! How would you compare the 70mm f/2.8 ?? Im just wondering because Its about $200 cheaper than the 100mm.

SouthFlorida_Tron

If u need wider, back away, there's. The wide, but with a wide macro, u cannot get close up, which he is looking for.

I had the 60 n 100 macros, hated the wide. Just seemed like a tack sharp coral photo, not a macro

Yea definitely want a Good zoom. I also have lens attachments that make the photo 2.5x wider that might add the the shot. If not I have the 18mm-50mm it came with that takes better wide shots. So you would all say no to the 70mm f/2.8 then?

After shooting with a 105mm macro for awhile i really wish i had a wider angle to show more of the coral. At 100+ everything is zoomed in way nice sure, but it cuts out a lot from the frame. The most impressive macro shots in my opinion have been with wider angle lenses.

:huh: thats not a macro shot then..macro is CLOSE UP magnification of an image..not a wide angle shot.this post makes no sense

:huh: thats not a macro shot then..macro is CLOSE UP magnification of an image..not a wide angle shot.this post makes no sense

+1

any input on the other lenses I posted links to? Specifically the 70mm?

i like my Sigma 105 OS

but the old version with NON OS had good optics and is not that expensive..there is also the tamron 90 and the Tokina 100

i like my Sigma 105 OS

but the old version with NON OS had good optics and is not that expensive..there is also the tamron 90 and the Tokina 100

Thanks Ill look into those also. Above I was asking about the 70mm but I was actually wrong. I need everyones opinion on the 105mm lens. Link below.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-Non-Mf...999042472J?r=FE

Does this lens require a tripod to take pictures or will I be ok taking them by hand?

i like my Sigma 105 OS

How is the Tamron 90? For $286 it seems like a good price if the picture quality and magnification is all there. here are links to ones I found.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-Non-Mf...999036983J?r=FE

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-Non-Mf...999076966N?r=FE

as with any lens it depends on the amount of light you have..you can use it handheld with any lens with proper light but if your not getting the right amount of light you will need a tripod...the tamron 90 is a good macro lens. Honestly. you will see almost ZERO difference in IQ between Canon 100, 100L, Sigma 105, 105 OS, 150, 150OS, tokina 100, tamron 90..ones may have a warmer or cooler picture tone to it that is not a big deal can be adjust in like 5sec. in post processes. So anyone of those you choose will be good

as with any lens it depends on the amount of light you have..you can use it handheld with any lens with proper light but if your not getting the right amount of light you will need a tripod...the tamron 90 is a good macro lens. Honestly. you will see almost ZERO difference in IQ between Canon 100, 100L, Sigma 105, 105 OS, 150, 150OS, tokina 100, tamron 90..ones may have a warmer or cooler picture tone to it that is not a big deal can be adjust in like 5sec. in post processes. So anyone of those you choose will be good

Awesome Thanks for all the help!

what other lenses do you have? Get an extension tube if u really want to go cheap.

I have the 18-55mm lens that comes with the Canon EOS T3, a Canon 70-300mm(that i dont use) because you have to be far away to take pictures, a fish eye, and 2 attachments, 1 for 2.5x zoom, 1 for 2.5x wide view.

doppelganger

you can use an extension tube with the 70-300 if you want. I would read up on them. In your case, is there a specific reason why you need to get 1:1 with a dedicated macro lens? With an extension tube you can minimize the focusing distance with much less cost. I'm not an expert on it tho so make sure you read up on it cuz there are pros and cons to them.

But hey if u've got the money and want a dedicated macro then go for it. Otherwise consider the extension tube or even mounting your lens backwards for just the odd macro here and there.

you can use an extension tube with the 70-300 if you want. I would read up on them. In your case, is there a specific reason why you need to get 1:1 with a dedicated macro lens? With an extension tube you can minimize the focusing distance with much less cost. I'm not an expert on it tho so make sure you read up on it cuz there are pros and cons to them.

But hey if u've got the money and want a dedicated macro then go for it. Otherwise consider the extension tube or even mounting your lens backwards for just the odd macro here and there.

I mainly want to get good clear close up shots of my SPS, close ups of polyp extension, and taking close ups of frags I cut for sale that are too small to show all the detail with my 18-55mm

Archived