Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kalk. = Pickleing Lime

Glenn

I have heard people say that Pickleing Lime is the same thing as Kalkwasser. I was wondering if anybody knows if this is true. If it is what are the normal dosing recomendations for Kalk.? :|

yes, it is. it took me a while to figure out what the heck pickling lime is but i know what calcium hydroxide is. they're the same, at least according to Mrs Wages foods, whoever the heck she is/was. ???

the price for pickling lime seems cheaper than kalkwasser. they're the same thing but the magic of marketing magnifies the kalkwasser's abilities (not really). :P

Thanks alot tinyreef, you have just saved me alot of time and money! My lfs's do not carry it so I would either have to order it or buy it online, BIG HASSLE (especially since my lfs isn't very reliable at ordering me stuff, 0 for 2 so far).

:angry:

they are pretty much the same:

kalkwasser= Lab Grade

Pickling Lime= Food Grade

There are allowances for more impurities in food grade than Lab Grade. Not enopugh to make a difference and it is usually CaCo3 that is the impurity which we want anyway.

GL,

Toy

Lunchbucket

pickeling lime is about 98% pure and kalk is about 99% pure. many many many many people (me included) have used pickeling lime to save $$ and w/ great success

just make sure you konw how to dose....very very slowly or you will mess your tank up real fast!!

Lunchbucket

Hey guys, thanks alot for the info. Like I said in my original post my LFS has not gotten my anything that I have ordered. anthony812 you can get pickleing lime at your local grocery store in the canning section. Lunchbucket, I have heard of people mixing kalk. and pouring it right into the aquarium. Not that I would endorse this method because I would prefer to do like you, very slowly drip it in. Reef120, I checked out your tanks, VERY NICE, and good job , they look great. Wish my wife would give me a 125gal. for christmas! Again thanks alot!:)

Lunchbucket

yeah try mixing your kalk w/ you daily top off and dumping it all in.....

DISASTER IS EMINENT!! people might have done it in big tanks but that is still stupid!!

Lunchbucket

Archived