Innovative Marine Aquariums

5 gal minibow fuge?

bjk

actually i am gonna take the tank to this lfs that is like an hour away and have them cut holes in it for me and then use it as a fuge on my 29 gal whenever i get rid of all the freshawter fish i have

nice flick. well i am hopefully going to get this thing built this weekend, but when you r chasin girls it makes it hard to find tim for doing water. oh well, ps one of my 65 watt bulbs burnt out in my aqualight, but coralife will send me one free as soon as i find the reciept, and yes my corals are still fine under 65 watts, few!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually considering doing something similar with my minibow 2.5. I have an Eclipse 12, and want a refugium. I think the 2.5 would be a good size for it. I like the gravity feed idea, so that your 'pods make it into the main tank alive. Looks great!

One question though, what is a pancake bit? I want to use a 1/2 bulkhead also, but don't know that term and can't seem to find a drillbit big enough for the bulkhead. It's actually 5/8" diameter isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Ookinohitio, i need a 1-1/8 inch hole saw for my half inch bulkhead. the half inch is the opening in the hole, but the threads are wider which in turn makes you need a bigger hole.

I just bought all of the parts... finally here is the list:

1- .5" x 10 ft pvc pipe

1- .5 " 90 degree pvc pipe thing

1- .5" bulkhead

1-rio 400 pump

1-minibow 5 gal tank

1- .5" x 10 ft black aquarium tubing

1- tube of aquarium silicone

1- bottle of cpvc cement(nontoxic)

Still to buy- Cheato or similar algae, about 5lbs liverock, 10 watt 6500k compact fluorescent screw in bulb.

Well we went to drill it tonight and it cracked, yes i said it my minibow 5 acrylic aquarium CRACKED. then we drilled the otherside just for kicks, nothing wrong, no problems. it really is ashame but things happen... it was a freebie i found in the garbage but still...

In the end since my dad felt bad for cracking it, he is taking up a dusty 10 gal to the glass store tomorrow to have it drilled for a new bigger refuge.. so i guess i'll have something better in the end but still... lot of planning and research went into the minibow and now it's gone.... recycled. but all the parts that were purchased can be used on the 10 Gallon. I will just need to buy more rock and a different grow bulb.

probably going to buy 10 Lbs lr and a 15 watt 6500k NO bulb...

Archived