inTank Media Baskets

Something eating my live rock?

don.earnest

don.earnest

I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything like this. I've searched all over the internet for something similar but was unable to find anything.

On the bottom of one of my live rocks, it appears as if something is slowly eating away at it. The surface is becoming smooth and clear, and black powder looking stuff is piling up underneath it.

Sorry, that's the best explanation I could come up with! I'm afraid that it's going to spread throughout the aquarium.

Thanks,

Don

Is the rock "solid" or is something scraping detritus off?

Where did you get the live rock. I've read of rock-boring urchins that "dig" holes through the rock. Don't remember where they are from though.

don.earnest

It's solid but something is definately burrowing little holes in it. Not sure what, but it looks like what termites do to wood, but in this particular spot, it's almost like something is polishing the end of the rock. It's really strange. Could be two different things happening. I've looked all over the net and through several books, but I can't find anything similar.

The rock is Premium Fiji from a LFS (Marine Warehouse in Tampa, FL). I got about 6lbs of my rock there, including some Tonga Branch and the other 6lbs of Premium Fiji at another LFS. It was all cured before I put it in.

don.earnest

Sorry, it's the part directly in the center of the photo. The pile of stuff underneath the rock, with the black stuff in it, used to be the bottom of the rock.

Archived