Pod Your Reef

shells

fraxinius

this may be a stupid question..but is it ok to use shells for frag mounting?.. i hope so, been using them in all kinds of ways..mushrooms stick well to them and i stuff branchy (leathers, birdnest) corals down into snail shells..i like the plugs to be breakable for easier dividing later if i want too..a couple of my corals r on quartz river rock and they r pretty hard to cut or break ..

this may be a stupid question..but is it ok to use shells for frag mounting?.. i hope so, been using them in all kinds of ways..mushrooms stick well to them and i stuff branchy (leathers, birdnest) corals down into snail shells..i like the plugs to be breakable for easier dividing later if i want too..a couple of my corals r on quartz river rock and they r pretty hard to cut or break ..

Lol, I've been using them to glue my SPS frags to recently. They're all accidental frags and I just don't want them to die, plus I'm out of small rocks and hate the look of frag plugs. I'll probably end up buying some soon though to sell off a bunch of my frags.

I've found that using large snail shells like margarita snails keep the polyps that you like but are sort of invasive all together in a small bunch. Sort of like a bouquet. The rock is too far Down and the polyps shade enough that any buds that venture down whither away.

Example

e9c04730.jpg

The radioactive dragon eyes had the same Mount as the gbp at first. They grew quickly to that point then just stopped. I also used shells from the beach for stuff I want in the sand.

i got a small basket of shells at the dollar store for a buck...very clean. mostly scallops and clams but a few murex and others too , abouit 2 scooped handfuls...not worried bout sellin them, i only have few...they get vovered with coraline and algae in the tank

i got a small basket of shells at the dollar store for a buck...very clean. mostly scallops and clams but a few murex and others too , abouit 2 scooped handfuls...not worried bout sellin them, i only have few...they get vovered with coraline and algae in the tank

I was referring to snail shells, but yea, scallop shells and clam shells are fine as long as they're cleaned properly before introduction into your tank.

pistol shrimp likes the smaller ones...uses them to cover holes in burrow...the scallops also keep zoas and shrooms contained..have even stuck a few in places to divert flow..color of em doesnt matter much they eventually match your rock

Archived