Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Xenia and have a question

MGXsport

I just got a new xenia and seems to be doing fine.

It is under 96Watt Powerquad and seems to be full as it was under the VHO as in the LFS. When I first put it in it was pulsing like crazy and has now died down to a slow pulsing. I have a small video that shows how it is acting now here:

Right Click save as please

http://www.4wheelphotos.com/nanopic/P1010034.MOV

Does it look to be doing fine?

sorry dont have quicktime. most experts say that xenia may or may not pulse-has no effect on the coral. so i wouldnt worry about it as long as the polyps are extended nicely. alos some people think that increasing current may increse teh pulsing.

Ive been reading up on the pom pom xenia, and everything ive read says that higher light and low flow will make for the most pumping action.

good luck

A little blurry.... but that looks completely normal. The higher the flow the less they will pulse. It is believed that the pulsing is a gas exchange mechanism. If they are in an area of high flow, they have no need to pulse.

I don't know how true that is. I have mine in a really high flow area, of course there are no low flow areas in my tank since it is a ten with two filters that produce 400gph flow, and it pulses like crazy. I think it all depends on the coral.

I noticed it started to pulse more when I upped the salinity.

Do they move on there own? I noticed mine has shifted more to the left.

Archived