Top Shelf Aquatics

clam lighting

irishbing

how many watts would i need to keep a clam in a 20 long? i dont want to get metal halides so is it possible to keep them under Compact Flourecents?

Undertheradar

possible...but not as easy. You will have to make up for the lack of what many consider the ONLY proper light for clams with very good water conditions. Clams have 2 main means of feeding. Photosyntesis in their mantles, and filter feeding. They actually dont like heavy chemical dosing through the water like corals do...in fact they prefer low nutrient water (strontium dosing can actually make them very unhappy for example). They simply make their own nutrients. If the lighting isnt the best, they will go after more filter feeding for their well being. Keep this in mind...you will prolly be 'spot-feeding' more than you thought.

Any reason why you dont want halide? Once you go halide...you will never go back.

what type of halides would i need for a 20 long? Is it really expensive? I look on hellolights.com and there are retrofit kits and DIY things. Are they like the same thing? Should i get magnetic ballast or electronic? WIll i be able to keep softies in there with the MH? sorry for all the questions but i am a newb to nano tanks...im planning my first one.

Archived