Coral Vue Hydros

diy skimmer

Nishant3789

Nishant3789

i think i have a skimmer, could u guys tell me if i do? what i did was get a pvc pipe about 1 and 1/4 " diametre, and about 4-6" long then i drilled a hole just big enough for an airline tube to go through, so i put an airstone on one of the airlines pon the bottom. then i drilled the same size hole near the top and stuck another airline through. then i stuck this into my tank in the corner and turned the airpump on. its been goin for about a half hour now and it seems to be makin sum bubbles. so far so good i think. theres no collection cup, just the hole near the top with the airline stuck in it and the other end of that line is in a cup behind the tank. tell me if this will work thanks. btw, its a ten gallon and im only planning on useing it once a week or twice a week if i overdose or anything thanks

nishant

had almost the same setup for a 1g experimental tank i ran for a few months two years ago. like you touched upon, the lack of a collection cup may become an issue. the 'gunk' used to just collect on the walls of the second outer flexible tube. i drilled a hole to fit the large tube on the hex's ug filter tube and threaded the standard air hose with airstone. i had to clean the larger hose every other day.

you may want to use a standard airstone versus the fine wooden ones. this is against standard skimmer designs but with that setup you will need the larger bubbles and subsequent violent activity to push the 'gunk' upwards. of course the efficency is lowered but it is a diy. good luck with it! ;)

Archived