Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Possible Hitch-Hiking Feather Duster?

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

HI,

I've had my tank runnig for almost 2months now and it is doing extremely well... i have a few corals (e.g. xenia, trumpet/candy coral, mushrooms, and two bubble tip anemones(one split into 2)).... Also, i probably have 40-50 lbs of live rock (this is a 20Long for your information)... recently i've noticed some hitchhiker polyps on a rock that my mushrooms were purchased on... then about 2 days ago i got to looking closely at them, when i moved my face up to the glass i noticed a white flash out of the corner of my eye... i watched for a couple minutes and this small creature re-emerged from a small tube.. i have no idea what it could be(later i noticed a second one on the opposite side of the rock)... has anyone ever experinced this or know what i could be?... i was thinking that i might be a feather duster.... by the way it is sensitive to either light or sudden vibrations, if i tap the glass it instantly sucks back into it's tube only to re-emerge a few seconds later...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

I love this forum... man i only posted that thread like 5 min before your reply... anyway back to business....

I knew they weren't a problem i was just getting excited from all these free corals i''ve been getting in the past week...!! i payed 25 dollars for 6 mushrooms and i now have 15 polyps, two feather dusters, and some little thing growing under a mushroom... i acctually think it is a new mushroom.. thanks man... by the way does anyone know how mushrooms reproduce? (i always thought spores, but wasn't for sure) how fast do they usually reproduce?

they produce in every way you can imagine. they 'slide' around and leave babies in their wake. they split. and they grow little 'babies' at their bases.

and if you want to turn one shroom into 4 just take a knife and cut it like a pie into quarters, making sure to leave part of the 'base' on each piece. in a couple weeks you will have four. or you can cut any 'ol piece off and 'sew' it to a rock. in two weeks it will be attached.

i would consider a good rate of NATURAL growth a doubling of the polyps every 2-3 months. some people do better than that.

nalbar

Archived