Cultivated Reef

pumps for 45 gallon

freemandnj973

freemandnj973

i was wondering if anyone could give me advise on whether 2 tunze 6025 would be good flow in my 45 gallon. i recently borrowed 2 koralia 1050's and wasnt impressed. the height of my tank is whats killing me(24 in tall) but cant upgrade possibly until the end of the year so i want something that will work on a slightly larger tank too. my budgets around $100-120.

opinions?

Grendel0501

I run a 45 tall as well, and have two Koralia 1400's. Its plenty of flow, if I lower the power heads more than 3-4in from the surface they create bald spots on the sand bed.

Two 1400gph power heads in a 45 is technically overkill, but I like to keep my fish on a treadmill.

You don't need ridiculous flow, two 1050's would be plenty.

freemandnj973

not a big fan of koralia pumps anymore especially the whole only shooting water out of 2 holes thing

Grendel0501
not a big fan of koralia pumps anymore especially the whole only shooting water out of 2 holes thing

Two holes? You mean water was shooting out the side vents, and not the front?

Sounds like your buddies Koralia's were running in reverse. Which means they weren't working properly.

Remove the housing and see if there is a small plastic peice floating around inside, take that peice and put it back on the inner front face of the koralia. Now turn it back on and see how much flow it makes.

Lots of people use the Koralia's, some even put them on wave times to give pulse.

freemandnj973

every koralia i've owned/tried has that type of flow coming out the 2 vents and they are running in the right direction possibly cause i have the older k1's mine are about 4 years old.

Archived