inTank Media Baskets

HQI Pendant

1fish2fish

The ballasts are conventional and heavy. They are also not switched. The tension on the retractor in the pendant can be adjusted,which is nice. The color on the bulb is nice. Somwhere between the color of a Ushio SE 10K and a Blueline SE 10K(when new.) Of course it will change with time but they all do. I would treat it with some care as it is made in the ROC and the quality of the materials may not be up to par. I noticed the "hinge" on the lens looked fragile and the pendant and reflector are thin but it's not like you're going to kick it down the stairs......right?

Get three other people close to you and order 'em together,the price drops to 135.00.

1fish2fish

Nice. too bad about the damaged ones though.

What's the heat output like on them?

My plan was to place it about 16 inches over my tank. I figured t would still be plenty of light and that the buffer zone should be enough.

I just installed this light over a Via Aqua 18.

After a couple of days of use the light looks much better than when you first turn it on. I went from the stock Via Aqua 50/50 light to just the pendant. Not having the actinic was a big change. I'm getting used to it or it just looks a lot better now.

There is no switch on the ballast - using a timer. I have not used a MH before but this ballast seems to get very hot. There is an unpleasant "burn in" smell coming from the ballast that I hope will go away after some use.

As a side note - the ballast case did not seem to be brand new. It had some scratches and dings on the case, I'm hoping I did not get a returned unit.

Very pleased with the light - the ratchet style hanger works great. I have it high over the tank to acclimate slowly. When I bring it down close 4-6" from the water - the light is somewhat focused in the middle of the Via Aqua.

I thought I got a good deal at the LFS, $199.

onthefly-How many are you using for the 20L? I was going with a 250 watt se for my 20L but if these work I might go with them, being assembled and cheaper then 250 (w/ electronic ballasts though).Oh, want to keep clams and a mix of sps and softies

Sam

Sam - Well I haven't built a 20L yet...working one. Myself, I like the reef optix II pendents for that because there is more lateral lighting. These bell pendents tend to shoot light straight down. Besides, 250W seems to work really well on the 20L.

However, If you went with 2 of these over the 20L, that would be a sweet set up!!!!

Yeah, thats kind of what I thought-for the $300 I could get 1 250mh and 1 or 2 actinics (PC's), with electronic ballasts, on top of that. So, I think I am just going with a 250 se and making a pendant for my 20L.

Sam

MillerLite

Do you guys think 250W metal halide is too much for 7 gallon nano-reef. I bought a 250W light a year ago and it is waiting for me to begin my 55. What do you guys think about using this in the mean time. That would be approximately 35 watts per gallon! LOL! A bit more than the 4-5 recommended....

Archived