Coral Vue Hydros

30L Light Issues

halmotors

Okay, so, the LFS near where I live (and where I frequent for hard goods like food and chemicals) has decided they want to set up an invert tank, so they can sell corals, etc. Seeing as how I'm in there quite a bit, they asked me today if it would be a good idea to put 4 55 Watt Coralife 50/50 PCs above their tank (a total of 220 watts spread out over 4 bulbs.)

The tank is a 30 Long (48"x12"x12"). While they don't want to do anything like SPS's, they would like to keep things like anemones, mushies, etc. alive in there. Should I tell them to cut back on the lighting, or is that going to be fine? They would like to advance later on, once they got the experience, so would it be prudent to have them start out with that much light so the tank is used to it?

-Hal

Cellenzweig

That sounds pretty good to me. I'm running 2x65w PC on my 10g and everything is doing great. They may even consider 4x65w. The Coralife ballasts usually run both 55w & 65w.

ReeferMonkey

In no way is 220 watts of PC too much, especially if they're going to try to keep anemones. Will this tank be plumbed into a larger system? It might be a good idea to increase stability.

Maybe you could do them a service by pointing some of the staff to NR, RC and RDO.

Undertheradar

I agree w/ monkey 100% on the size issue. Store tanks always have things coming in and going out...this messes with the stability alot. The only way to compensate is with a larger, more stable system. That way, when the clump of macro, bunch of shrooms, or newly arrived anemone comes in (or dies) it will not affect the system as much. In other words, a nano, or anything near, IS NOT A STORE TANK. It takes alot of patience and skill to get a nano just right and stable...start swapping out corals or worse, have an anemone die overnight, and the whole tank is down the drain.

I am helping two local stores either upgrade their current reef holding facilities, or start a reef selection as is. The minimum system size that one place will get is a 100gallon system...a 55gallon tank, and 45g sump...and that tank isnt exactly stable either. The other setup is a larger system with 6 30gallon tanks (vho lighting), and an 80gallon sump. This is what I would consider minimal for retail use. There will also be a clam tank attached to this setup within the month...an open top 6footx3footx1foot high tank with 4 400watt pendants hanging over it.

The tank is currently part of a centrally filtered system, so keeping it as part of that system can be done. They're main concern with it, unfortunately, is that if they have to medicate for something at a later date, they don't want to have the hassle of it killing any of the inverts.

I'm thinking maybe set up a sump system?

Archived