hirschy75

Extra algae during cycle?

Hey all.

So I have diatoms going like crazy right now but I just noticed some green algae on the glass. It's like a thousand little hairs about 1/8" that are lining all the glass.

Is this unusual or is it ok? Should I scrape it off?

Scrape it off and suck it up with a syphon or turkey baster so it doesn't just land somewhere else and sprout again.

Scrape it off and suck it up with a syphon or turkey baster so it doesn't just land somewhere else and sprout again.

Will do :/

Am I doin something wrong?

Probably not unless you're overfeeding or have crazy params. It will die off once your cycle is done.

During a cycle - leave it imo - Its in the water, scraping it is goign to spread spores even if you suck it up.. let the cycle go through let the gha die off then proceed imo

I'm not feeding yet, nothing to feed lol

Won't be able to test till tomorrow but I'll look into it. I do have chemi pure tho and using RO water

Current FTS:

d93aa11b.jpg

Edited by hirschy75

During a cycle - leave it imo - Its in the water, scraping it is goign to spread spores even if you suck it up.. let the cycle go through let the gha die off then proceed imo

Agreed. Don't bother with manual removal during the cycle, just wait until it's done and add a clean up crew.

Also, be sure you aren't running your lights during the cycle as they will just add to the problem.

I'm not feeding yet, nothing to feed lol

Won't be able to test till tomorrow but I'll look into it. I do have chemi pure tho

Current FTS:

d93aa11b.jpg

That's not bad at all, looks like a normal diatom bloom to me.

Thought you needed lights on to keep live rock bacteria alive?

Diatoms I expected, hair algae on the glass which you probably can't see were what I was worried about

Edited by hirschy75

Thought you needed lights on to keep live rock bacteria alive?

Diatoms I expected, hair algae on the glass which you probably can't see were what I was worried about

Definitely do not need lights for the cycle, leave them off and it should help with the hair algae.

Algae is normal during the cycle, just let it be and it should go away on it's own, unless you are using tap water.