inTank Media Baskets

Mandarin with no brains

Blennylover14

Blennylover14

So flo, my female mandarin goby is a happy camper, she loves the tank she is in and always has plenty of pods to eat. About a month back I started realizing flo didn't like the water anymore and wanted to be an acrobat. Every night right as I turn off my lights and switch on my led moonlights she darts to the top of the water. For the next 15 minutes of darkness and the start of the night flo really gives me thought that I have a Charles linden burg fish. She obviously wants to fly. For that first 15 minutes of darkness she is floating around at the water surface and skimming it like a watercraft. While Im siting there boggled I wonder, is this normal? Does this happen to anyone else? She seems like she's trying to attack the moonlight LOL

She's floating around like a fishing bouey. And then finally after she's had enough fighting with the darkness she turns to her camouflage white and goes to sleep like every night. This is her nightly ritual.

She is trying to fly and idk why. Is she just crazy? Or is this normal?

Good thing I have a lid!

Maybe She is afraid of the dark? :huh:

Blennylover14
Maybe it sees or knows something you dont know about what lurks in the tank at night.

Dun dun dunnnnn

So flo, my female mandarin goby is a happy camper, she loves the tank she is in and always has plenty of pods to eat. About a month back I started realizing flo didn't like the water anymore and wanted to be an acrobat. Every night right as I turn off my lights and switch on my led moonlights she darts to the top of the water. For the next 15 minutes of darkness and the start of the night flo really gives me thought that I have a Charles linden burg fish. She obviously wants to fly. For that first 15 minutes of darkness she is floating around at the water surface and skimming it like a watercraft. While Im siting there boggled I wonder, is this normal? Does this happen to anyone else? She seems like she's trying to attack the moonlight LOL

She's floating around like a fishing bouey. And then finally after she's had enough fighting with the darkness she turns to her camouflage white and goes to sleep like every night. This is her nightly ritual.

Good thing I have a lid!

It would be really helpful if you posted a picture. I have heard and observed this behavior with mandarins that are starving - I would think it's a way to get to a different area (swimming into the water column during the night to allow the current to carry to another area). Interestingly, I've observed similar behavior with other fish and even inverts who are otherwise pretty stationary: my harlequin shrimp used to swim up and let the current carry him when the lights turned off when he lost his mate. Since her replacement, he has been a happy camper! Just throwing it out there. Maybe it's for mating reasons or no reason at all though. Perhaps it could be due to low oxygen levels even? When the lights go off, the dissolved O2 levels go down.

Blennylover14
It would be really helpful if you posted a picture. I have heard and observed this behavior with mandarins that are starving - I would think it's a way to get to a different area (swimming into the water column during the night to allow the current to carry to another area). Interestingly, I've observed similar behavior with other fish and even inverts who are otherwise pretty stationary: my harlequin shrimp used to swim up and let the current carry him when the lights turned off when he lost his mate. Since her replacement, he has been a happy camper! Just throwing it out there. Maybe it's for mating reasons or no reason at all though. Perhaps it could be due to low oxygen levels even? When the lights go off, the dissolved O2 levels go down.

Yeah there are so many different things it could be. None of my other fish do it

C.I._Reefer

have you trained your mandarin onto frozen foods? even with a large pod population, frozen foods are the only way mandarins can really get a healthy balanced diet in aquaria.

Blennylover14
have you trained your mandarin onto frozen foods? even with a large pod population, frozen foods are the only way mandarins can really get a healthy balanced diet in aquaria.

Yes she absolutely LOVES frozen mysis, I soak it in Zoe also

Actually flow has no brain problem.

She is simply doing what they do in nature, and looking for a mate.

You should read a little bit about the fish you have in your tank and you would learn the basic about them. This is important to know the proper and normal behavior for our fish.

At night females mandarin go huting for males and they rise at the surface of the water with the male to spawn. They usually only do that after the main lights are out. So it is normal for them to seak the higher water level at night to find a mate or to look for one at least.

Good thing I have a lid!

Blennylover14
Actually flow has no brain problem.

She is simply doing what they do in nature, and looking for a mate.

You should read a little bit about the fish you have in your tank and you would learn the basic about them. This is important to know the proper and normal behavior for our fish.

At night females mandarin go huting for males and they rise at the surface of the water with the male to spawn. They usually only do that after the main lights are out. So it is normal for them to seak the higher water level at night to find a mate or to look for one at least.

Poor flo:(

I wouldnt think I can maintain two mandarins in a 20 H could I ?

Otherwise I would get her a mate!

Archived