Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clowns started spawning again

lohitha

My clowns spawned 3 times so far. Eggs usually hatched in 8-9 days and they spawn again in 2-3 days. Each spawn got bigger and bigger. I got phyto and roti cultures going for the 4th batch and for my bad luck, they stopped spawning. Now I have rotifers, but no eggs. Go figure!

There were few days during past 2 weeks when the tempurature wat bit too high (due to the weather) and I had to crank down the heater setting. I think that might have spooked them. I also separated the male for a couple of days because I saw it splashing against rocks and gave him a med bath as a precaution. I dont think it was sick. Eitherway, male still continues to clean the nest site, but the female is not interested. Have you had any such experience? Will it take a long time before start spawnign again? Appreciate opinion from the experts. Thanks!

I'd imagine that the separation of the pair caused the female to either ingest her eggs or has thrown off their cycle - either way they should start spawning again but as to when is up in the air. They could start again in 10 days or so but there is no way to be sure. All you can do is manage the conditions and try not to disrupt the pair and hope for the best.

Thanks. That came from THE expert. :)

LOL... Far from being an expert - just been around the block a couple of times with my pairs. It's unusual that they'd stop spawning without some sort of event to break the trend that's why I'm thinking it's the separation. Although I have had pairs simply take a break and (whatever the event was that disrupted them - I most likely didn't catch) they always start back up again after ensuring all the proper conditions and loading them up with food.

Good Luck and Keep us posted on your progress.

I will certainly post an update. Two things prompted me to try raise the fry.

1. When I saw the fry, I felt sorry for the little guys who become food or get thrashed in the pumps within hours.

2. My daughter called me a fish murderer.

:)

I will certainly post an update. Two things prompted me to try raise the fry.

1. When I saw the fry, I felt sorry for the little guys who become food or get thrashed in the pumps within hours.

2. My daughter called me a fish murderer.

:)

Hopefully all goes well or you will have to get use to hearing number 2!

what did your temps get up to? high temps are a good idea for them laying if they are in a tank and not a reef tank or with other fish. i keep my breeding system at 84f but i dont recommend going that high. i would try to keep your temp at 81 or 82.

• 2 weeks later...

My temp went up to 82.5 and I brought it back to 80. I think that is the main reason for them to stop spawning and perhaps separating the male for a couple of days. I then raised the temp back to 81.5 and voila.. there is another batch of eggs. Eggs should hatch this Friday. All the eggs seem to be okay. They have silver part of the eye now. Mine used to hatch in 8 days and I will be ready to scoop/siphon them out on Friday night. Separate 10 gallon fry tank is set up as well. Rotifer culture also is progressing nicely. It is exciting. I think I would take about 4 gallons of tank water with the frys. Fry tank is bare bottom and I will not use a hood light. Instead, I will have a light in the room. I read somewhere that some people keep the light on continuously. I still have to research on that.

My plan is to feed them with rotifers for the first 4-5 days and then transition into otohime. I am also thinking of ways to fortifying rotifers prior to feeding. Maybe I should start a thread on my breeding attempt. :)

what did your temps get up to? high temps are a good idea for them laying if they are in a tank and not a reef tank or with other fish. i keep my breeding system at 84f but i dont recommend going that high. i would try to keep your temp at 81 or 82.

I use a hood style light for my babies and leave in on 24hours a day through meta - I want them to be able to find the food and the water gets dark when you tint it for the rots. I don't think the ceiling light would be enough. At the very least some sort of desk lamp that you can adjust the height of the light with.

Thanks for the info. I will use the tank hood light and place some paper towels on the glass top to filter the light somewhat. Then I will adjust the photoperiod gradually after metal (if they are alive at that time). :)

I use a hood style light for my babies and leave in on 24hours a day through meta - I want them to be able to find the food and the water gets dark when you tint it for the rots. I don't think the ceiling light would be enough. At the very least some sort of desk lamp that you can adjust the height of the light with.
Thanks for the info. I will use the tank hood light and place some paper towels on the glass top to filter the light somewhat. Then I will adjust the photoperiod gradually after metal (if they are alive at that time). :)

That works - sometimes I'd lay a piece of dark acrylic or even cardboard under half of the light. That way the fry had a place to go if it was too bright.

My more recent hatches I don't even bother with it. The light I use is a standard PC 10g hood lamp with a single bulb that runs the length of the tank. It works great and I do not have any problems with the fry due to too much / little light.

Well.. good news and bad news.

I caught about 100+ fry from the main tank. Transferred with tank water to another 10 gln tank. No matter how much I calibrated the heater with the freshwater, it didnt maintain the temp. Intead, it overshot by a couple degrees. I siphoned 42 dead fry within first 24 hrs. 13 so far during the 2nd day. I still see 2-3 awkward swimmers.

Good news is that I still have around 60 fry now approaching 48 hrs. Most are eating rotifers and they have gotten much darker in color.

Day 3: Lost about 10 more. Still few erratic swimmers. Some of the dead seem to have to full stomach. Not sure if it is a good idea to do a small water change. I see some debris on the bottom.

For some reason, my main rotifer culture is not as dense anymore. I had to use my 2 litre backup culture to feed this afternoon. I will supplement with otohime from tomorrow.

First question would be how are you pulling the fry? They are very fragile when they first hatch.

I typically don't start pulling water out until later on... I fill my hatch tank with 4 - 5 gallons and then drip in fresh mixed saltwater starting on day 3. about a gallon a day so I don't start pulling water until 4 or 5 days later when I hit about 8 gallons in the tank.

I can't ever see the bottom of the tank either - I tint the water green (darker the first day) then feed it like I feed my rotifer cultures day and night. Usually by the time I go to actually pull water the bottom of the tank and sides have some good growth on them.

I use the phyto to help regulate my light as well. This assures me that the fry have a place to get away from the light if they want to and the light is still bright enough for them to come up and hunt.

For a drip I use a large tupperware type bowl - longer rectangle shape like you get at the dollar store for storage which holds a gallon or so of water and I set that on top of the 10 gallon hatch tank. Then use a air line with a valve in it to control the flow and let it drip in a pretty good rate. I don't heat that water or anything - I just make sure it's mixed right or even a little lower then the hatch tank to account for evaporation and let it drip in slowly - I've never had an issue doing it that way.

Remember the rots have zero nutritional value so they need to be well fed to deliver the phyto to the fry.

Well.. many weaker fry died off in mass due to rotifer shortage. I hatched bbs to fill the gap and I have around 20 with bellies full of bbs. I tried a bit of otohime A and dont see anyone eating them. They went one full day without any food and I expected all of them to be dead when I got home. Surprisingly, many survived until bbs came into action. I am not sure if any of these would be strong enough to go through meta. Let's see.

Now it has been 9 days post hatch. Only 11 survived past meta. All of them got head stripes. One even developing the 2nd stripe. Given how my attempt went, I am very positively surprised to have that many. I did not expect a single one to survive this far.

My roti culture crashed after 3 days.

No food on the 4th day.

BBS from day 5.

Also added otohime on day 4. But, I dont think they ate any. May be biting otohime now.

Did a little water change on day 9.

4 of remaining are occupying the 4 corners of the tank. They are little bullies and territorial already. Absolutely beautiful. Two of them are crazy swimmers. Others appear to have claimed a spot. Feeding them otohime is a bit tough because they come to the middle. I would continue to feed bbs in the meantime and supplement oto.

• 1 month later...

All of my 11 little clownfish babies are growing well. They are now at 40 day post hatch. They are eating Otohime B1 and have great color. I gave them a fake nem (50 cent toy from dollar store) and they like it. Check out this clip and how they dash into their shelter towards the end of the clip.

• 2 weeks later...
hooligan_78

So cheesey, but that is really cute! I'll have to put one in mine. Your tank is SUPER clean compared to my tanks!

So cheesey, but that is really cute! I'll have to put one in mine. Your tank is SUPER clean compared to my tanks!

I've had the best luck finding those thing at dollar stores.

BUT - I'm moving away from them and I'm not going to include them in my next grow out. The clowns can get territorial and the I've seen my juvis fighting to keep other juvis out of them. I'm going bare bottom and nothing else in the tubs.

Archived