Cultivated Reef

Fish hitchhiker help

Rhino883

It's a Florida Blenny. Eats Spirulina Flakes. Adapts very well to aquarium life. Will bond with you over time. Such curious little guys! I found one in a shell too. Here are a couple of pictures of mine. I say just QT him for a period. I'd be more worried about the stuff that is on the shell. Seriously.

post-70262-1333420668_thumb.jpg

post-70262-1333420727_thumb.jpg

You sir are my hero at the moment thank you for that

I looks like it I found it in the grass flat hidden in a shell...

Or well found the shell then the fish..

I think its cool that you found him. I went to florida on vacation and came back with a Scorpion fish I caught down there.. He is in my agressive tank and doing quite well after 8 months with me. Quite the character and eats about anything I drop in the tank.. frozen or thawed pellet or meat food etc.

Just do your best to provide for him as well as any fish you would pay money for. I would be cautious of tank mates now atleaast for a while til your sure he is healthy and adjusts to his surroundings..

How big is he.. 10g may not be large enough for to long.

You sir are my hero at the moment thank you for that

I looks like it I found it in the grass flat hidden in a shell...

Or well found the shell then the fish..

Ahem....it's "You Miss Atela, are my hero....". I found mine on the under side of an oyster cluster. I would love to buy more of these guys. Just make sure that you see him eating. Does your guy look like the one in my pictures?

Something else that I would suggest is to check your params against the params of the natural saltwater of where he came from. Salinity might be an issue.

Well thanks for all of the help.that's good to know that they are curious

That means entertainment. He's about 3 inches he will be moving into

A 29 gallon biotope that's in the planning process.and it will be spoiled

(with in reason) he's the only fish in there right now.any special needs?

Also did it pick up on the food on it's own or did you trian it?

How big is he.. 10g may not be large enough for to long.

I'm thinking these guys are a reef type of fish where they don't leave the confines of their usual stomping grounds. They are not swimmers like other aquarium fish. They meander through holes and caves, and the exteriors of rock formations. Mine actually likes to play peek-a-boo with me. He'll follow me around and likes to come up and look me over.

Well thanks for all of the help.that's good to know that they are curious

That means entertainment. He's about 3 inches he will be moving into

A 29 gallon biotope that's in the planning process.and it will be spoiled

(with in reason) he's the only fish in there right now.any special needs?

Also did it pick up on the food on it's own or did you trian it?

Very entertaining. If I could get another one, I wouldn't want any other fish in my tank. Just because they are that cool. He would eat the food that my clowns didn't eat. He then became trained along with them.

In the wild, I tend to believe copepods are a major dietary necessity. You may want to research this and also growing copepods to feed him.

.... Really? I found this little guy in the grass flats(after stepping on a blue crab)

Hmmm interesting

Ok thanks for the info on the fish

read the link above they live in grass flatts. Jetties and rocky outcroppings.. and are very common in oyster farms... so all are true for their habitat.

Side note found out why it was in the shell

Eggs tons and tons of them little orange ones the size of a .

Rhino, keep the shell in a QT tank and read up on raising the fry. Keep your papa fish with them. This could be a breakthrough for those of us who would like to buy them.

Sorry I missed the link my phones acting up. Thank you for that link

As far as checking the water parameters I will get on that first thing tomorrow

And miss atela please forgive me for that mix up ma'am

I say keep it if you like it and if its legal. All wild caught reef fish (which is the majority of reef fish in the industry) were removed from the ocean, so this is no different.

in terms of the chances of it having a parasite, then thats the risk you should consider yourself.

+1

it irks me when people say, "its wild, put it back. wild fish don't belong in our tanks, blah blah blah" where do you think majority of our fish come from? THE WILD. Are there no parasites in the waters of Indonesia, Hawaii, Austrailia, and so forth?

majority of the new fish we put in our tanks are stressed like heck the first few days if not a week. As long as its legal, i say keep it if you want it.

I would love to.... There going to a bare bottom tank tomorrow...

Where can I get rotifers fast because I can have two weeks to two days

To set up a grow out I've written these of as an unfortinit loss

But being pushed by the other half I'm gonna scramble to try to make this work

Wish me luck..... I know I'm gonna need it and a little Devine intervention also

I didn't even think of the fish catching something from the tank and possibly contaminating the local beach when returned. That's a very good point.

I only suggested he returned it because he didn't know what it was or how to feed him. The point is more dont collect any animals without knowlage of what it is and how to care for it. Now that the little guy has been identified I think it's wise to keep him.

And miss atela please forgive me for that mix up ma'am

No prob! Please keep a blog going on the progress of your hatchery. Pics and all. I know that I would definitely subscribe to it.

this thread is nuts

Care to elaborate?

Archived