Cultivated Reef

Hydor Slim Skim Nano Skimmer in Biocube

louy99

it was time for a protein skimmer...ive always read that the stock biocube skimmer sucks so i went with a Hydor.

i wanted it in chamber 1 and knew some cutting was needed to make it fit. used a razor blade and pliers to break off the rim.

561987_10101710715938393_5245529_75581734_1099566614_n.jpg

removed the false floor from chamber 1 and slid the bad boy in. it is a tight fit but it fits. the magnets that keep it in place were not needed but the clips are there to hold the airtube and power cord in place.

533463_10101710717570123_5245529_75581741_2082272065_n.jpg

526715_10101710717086093_5245529_75581740_1514709052_n.jpg

i know it may take up to 2 weeks to break in...ill give it a month to see how effective it is there. the skimmer is super quiet...dont hear a thing! Anyone else using one in their 29 biocube?

aquariumpav

In for results - I have the aqualife 115, sorta satisifed. Sorta confused. At times its constantly skimming and actually making bubbles that reach over into the over spill cup, other times the bubbles bearly make it up the little "tunnel" to spill into the cup. I read about the Hydor after I purchased the Aqualife. If I have to upgrade - Ill have to upgrade.

Was it a easy install? All it took was to cut out the back there?

probably a 29g if he jammed the slim in there.

Yes, 29 gallon. It wasnt hard at all. I've been others fit this in 2nd chamber but never seen it in 1st chamber.

I run the Hydor slim skim in Chamber 1of my BC 29 as well.... Works much much better than the aquaticlife which is junk IMO. Switching to a sump or HOB skimmer so I will be posting my slim skim for sale in the classifieds tonight if anyone wants one.

I run the Hydor slim skim in Chamber 1of my BC 29 as well.... Works much much better than the aquaticlife which is junk IMO. Switching to a sump or HOB skimmer so I will be posting my slim skim for sale in the classifieds tonight if anyone wants one.

post pics of that...why HOB skimmer?

post pics of that...why HOB skimmer?

I must have more power..... I crave it. hahahaha. Heavy sps. I just keep adding frags and I want to be overskimming like a mad man. It was expensive though. Pics are on my thread last page... check my sig.

After a few days in chamber 1 I realized it needs to be in chamber 2. Blocks a lot of flow into 2nd chamber

After a few days in chamber 1 I realized it needs to be in chamber 2. Blocks a lot of flow into 2nd chamber

I had the same problem. To make it work in chamber 1 I cut a few of the "teeth" out of the grate that the water flows through into chamber 1. I also used a piece of acrylic to wedge the skimmer into the back right corner of ch 1. This solved the flow issues.

Archived