Top Shelf Aquatics

300W Halogen Light, Good or Bad????

sponger47

I was in a hardware store and saw a 300 watt Halogen Light in one of those "cube-like" reflector fixtures. It was only like $9.99, is this a waste of my $$$$$$. I would place it over a 10 gallon refugium with some chateo in it.

I currently run 1 13w PC over it with a reverse photoperiod. I have had the chateo in there for about 4 weeks now and haven't seen much growth if any. I keep telling myself to be patient but everyone I hear from says this stuff grows like crazy.

Anyways back to the light.... use it??? or lose it???

It is probably too much light for your fuge! The color temp is urine yellow, but I actually saw better growth of my chaeto under halogen then PC. the main problem with halogen is THEY GET HOT!!!! I mean HOT!!! The tiny 20W halogen over my fuge was raising my tank temp 4F.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats not a good choice. First off its too much light and its the wrong color. Helios makes some cheap refugium lights.

luvtolean

The wrong color? How?

The 10k and up lamps we put on our tanks are more a function of aesthetics than what is best for the animals.

I do agree with the heat problem though. Those things get HOT!

Some people say the lower kelvin lights (2700K) promote algae growth...I never saw it in my fuge!

Just way to hot!

Archived