Cultivated Reef

I have $200 to spend on lights!

zzpw3x

I have a small wind fall and have around $200 to spend on MH lights for a 29G. I will make the hood myself and I am in the process of picking out MH lights. I am open to suggestions but this is what I am looking at now from hellolights.com:

1 - 250W Advance Magnetic M58 / H37 Ballast w/250W 20,000K Coralife 22-AF250-20K - $158

1 - MH Parabolic Reflector Set w/ Mogul Base - $29.95

1 - Power Cord - $3.50 (I may scratch this and use a power cord from an old PC.)

Questions:

Using the 20k bulb, do I need any actinic supplements?

Is 250W too much? Maybe 175 instead?

I intend on keeping lots of SPS's, and hopefully some softies like rics and zoos and a few mushrooms in the shaded spots.

Part of my goal is whatever I do, I want to be able to use these parts if I upgrade to a 55G/75G tank. If I go up to a 75G, I would probably just have to purchase one additional MH setup just like I want to buy.

I am excited to buy this ASAP, so responses are greatly appreciated

Dale

sounds like a good plan to me, however, remember that in the long run a good E ballast will cost you up to 30% less in electricity, and will be able to drive more bulbs. before you buy go over to RC and check JBNY's thread on 250w SE MH comparison, you will see some interesting things there.

I am wondering exactly the same question as z. I even have allocated the same amount of $$ to spend. I am local to Indianapolis so I should probably check out PA further. Anyone out there have useful links to 250w DE stuff?

matt the fiddler

caseymou

premium has good stuff- [plus no shipping on the heavy ballasts..- $20 saver!!] premium has good DIY stuff for MH ballasts going DE will probably cost more than single ended...

i am on the north east side of town [are you in INDMAS]??? we have frag trades and such in town..

you shoudl ge tin if you arn't.. such a great group of people...

I bought the set-up recommended by telecaster, 250W, 20k, Electronic ballast, Mogul style bulb.

My understanding is that I don't have to have glass to protect the water from UV, but I should probably do something to protect the bulb from splashes which cause the bulb to shatter. Should i just by some egg crate from Home Depot and that is it?

Dale

Archived