Coral Vue Hydros

Red Grape Kelp (Botryocladia) in Display Questions?

duganderson

duganderson

I would love to add some Kelp on Rock, Grape (red) (Botryocladia sp.) to the display portion of the tank. See photo and link at:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=662

I have a 28 g. nano cube has 26 lbs. of live rock with ½ inch live sand.

I had several questions about this macro-algae

1. Is this macro-algae easy to keep? Does it tend to require supplements? Any other special care?

2. If I kept it trimmed back to 12 inches or less, would this tend to cause a lot of PH swings? If so, I could add a small, reverse lit refugium in the back portion of my tank with cheato. It is only 2.75“ x 2” x 3.9” inches big…….would this be big enough to prevent ph swings?

3. Does this macro-algae cause any bad impact on the tank? I’ve heard some macros like Caulerpa can release toxins into the tank?

4. How is this macro different than Red Grape Caulerpa (the Live Aquaria site says it is different but other sources suggest it is the same thing)

5. Where is a good place to buy it? Do folks tend to sell frags of this or give it away?

6. Are there any other cool/colorful macros you would recommend instead of this for the display portion of my tank?

7. Do any of the livestock I have (or plan to have) eat this. I currently have 2 Ocellaris Clowns, 1 skunk cleaner, 2 RBTAs and a snail/hermit/emerald crab clean up crew. I plan to add one 6-line wrasse or flasher wrasse, 1 blenny or Goby, and 1 pistol shrimp. I want to keep the clowns, skunk cleaner shrimp and the RBTA but the rest are negotiable if I need to change my plans.

I would love to add some Kelp on Rock, Grape (red) (Botryocladia sp.) to the display portion of the tank. See photo and link at:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=662

I have a 28 g. nano cube has 26 lbs. of live rock with ½ inch live sand.

I had several questions about this macro-algae

1. Is this macro-algae easy to keep? Does it tend to require supplements? Any other special care?

2. If I kept it trimmed back to 12 inches or less, would this tend to cause a lot of PH swings? If so, I could add a small, reverse lit refugium in the back portion of my tank with cheato. It is only 2.75“ x 2” x 3.9” inches big…….would this be big enough to prevent ph swings?

3. Does this macro-algae cause any bad impact on the tank? I’ve heard some macros like Caulerpa can release toxins into the tank?

4. How is this macro different than Red Grape Caulerpa (the Live Aquaria site says it is different but other sources suggest it is the same thing)

5. Where is a good place to buy it? Do folks tend to sell frags of this or give it away?

6. Are there any other cool/colorful macros you would recommend instead of this for the display portion of my tank?

7. Do any of the livestock I have (or plan to have) eat this. I currently have 2 Ocellaris Clowns, 1 skunk cleaner, 2 RBTAs and a snail/hermit/emerald crab clean up crew. I plan to add one 6-line wrasse or flasher wrasse, 1 blenny or Goby, and 1 pistol shrimp. I want to keep the clowns, skunk cleaner shrimp and the RBTA but the rest are negotiable if I need to change my plans.

1. It is very easy to keep. It's non calcified, meaning you don't have to keep up with dosing (Aside from corals that may need dosing in your tank)

2. It would not cause significant pH changes IMO. Cheato is always a good idea for nutrient export and stability, however, but that's your call

3. This macro does not go sexual, it will not bomb your tank with a release of nutrients and gametes.

4. It's the same thing. Red grape caulerpa is just the common name. It is, however, not a species of caulerpa, and it cannot go sexual

5. many vendors have this on here, including myself. It is one of the less expensive ones in the hobby and one of the easiest to care for.

6. There's tons of sweet macros for displays. You can look into codium, red titan, dragons breath, ochtodes, and halmeida, just to name a few

7. The emerald is a macro bulldozer. He would probably eat it. Turbo snails will eat it also, but i'm not sure if you have trubos or not. Most other snails don;t have strong enough mouths to eat macroalgae, and they tend to go for the smaller stuff

altolamprologus
1. It is very easy to keep. It's non calcified, meaning you don't have to keep up with dosing (Aside from corals that may need dosing in your tank)

2. It would not cause significant pH changes IMO. Cheato is always a good idea for nutrient export and stability, however, but that's your call

3. This macro does not go sexual, it will not bomb your tank with a release of nutrients and gametes.

4. It's the same thing. Red grape caulerpa is just the common name. It is, however, not a species of caulerpa, and it cannot go sexual

5. many vendors have this on here, including myself. It is one of the less expensive ones in the hobby and one of the easiest to care for.

6. There's tons of sweet macros for displays. You can look into codium, red titan, dragons breath, ochtodes, and halmeida, just to name a few

7. The emerald is a macro bulldozer. He would probably eat it. Turbo snails will eat it also, but i'm not sure if you have trubos or not. Most other snails don;t have strong enough mouths to eat macroalgae, and they tend to go for the smaller stuff

+100000 If you're going to get some, get it from keydiver. Liveaquaria is greedy and overpriced.

duganderson

Thank you for the detailed information. I do have 3 turbos and I emerald crab.

Would you get rid of both before buying this macro or wait and see if they eat it?

Thanks, Doug

drunkenmonk21

I would deff get rid of the Emerald and turbos if your going to keep any macros successfully. The Emerald Crab will rip them to shreds while eating them. The turbos are just bulldozers and will eat most display macros as well before you even realize they have done it lol.

Clean up crew that I would recommend for Macro tanks are:

Astraea Snails

Florida Ceriths

Dwarf Ceriths

Blue Leg Hermits

Limpets

Cleaner Shrimp

Pepermint Shrimp

Nassarius snails

Im sure there are others but thats what is working for me. If your looking for a crab for the tank. I also keep Pom pom crab and Porcelain Crabs and have no problems with either.

P.S. Keydriver has excellent Macros :D I got my first Macros from him about 8 months ago and they are still going Strong. Would recommend 100%

+100000 If you're going to get some, get it from keydiver. Liveaquaria is greedy and overpriced.

P.S. Keydriver has excellent Macros :D I got my first Macros from him about 8 months ago and they are still going Strong. Would recommend 100%

ahh you guys are too kind.

I agree with josh. getting rid of the emerald crab and turbos will save you much frustration. IMO, turbos are annoying even when they're not in macro tanks. They're big enough to knock stuff over and if they fall upside down, they can't right themselves and end up dying in the tank. My favorite are florida ceriths and glowing marginellas or tonga nassarius for the sandbed

drunkenmonk21

Lol turbos have to be the most annoying snails out there. I had one try to go through my overflow and got stuck. Luckily I was sitting at my computer next to the tank when it started to overflow :(

Even a few seconds of saltwater flowing onto your floor is pretty messy and a joy to clean.

Common Botryocladia is extremely easy to keep. Moderate lighting is best - intense lighting will make it turn an orange shade. Dosing Iodine (Lugols) will help the plant quite a bit.

Botryocladia doesn't release toxins.

Certainly, a refugium on a split lighting cycle can help reduce pH swings, but I've found simply running a skimmer 24/7 provides enough oxygenation to keep pH quite stable even with all the macros I keep.

There are several species of Botryocladia available, but I believe Live Aquaria carries the most common variety at a very premium price. A much better option is to purchase a bag full from Gulf Coast Ecosystems (live-plants.com) at a much better price (and you will get a ton from them).

As for other cool macros... they're all cool! I would recommend ensuring you can keep this plant healthy (lighting, water conditions, flow, dosing) before investing in some of the more difficult plants.

Archived