SaltCritters.com

Clip-on HQI!!!

MacnReef

I have just found a source for a 150W HQI pendant that has a heavy duty clip for mounting on the back of a tank. It looks like the company will be able to supply them with either 10K or 65K bulbs. I asked them about the durability of the mount because I would think that would be the biggest concern but they say that once it is mounted, it isn't coming off, of course unless intentionally taken off.

It is going to take about 60 days before they are available to sell and I might be able to test one in the near future so I will be able to provide pics and my thoughts of the unit. From my understanding it looks a lot like the pendants currently on the market but have a bracket for mounting.

Just figured I would through this out there for anyone who may be interested. The unit will retail for about $165, and that includes the bulb. I am thinking about buying one after I test with the 65K bulb for a fuge.

Mike

They are not selling them yet, but will in the near future. I might be able to test one before it is on the market.

Aquatic Eco-Systems

How heavy do they expect them to be. A clip that suspends the pendant 6" from the water's surface is sure to put A LOT of stress on the glass tank sides, especially when you consider that the pendant will weight from 5-10lbs. And since most of us on n-r.com use a tank without a cross/load bearing brace (not needed on our smaller tanks), the excess weight can crack and/or pull the tank apart at the seams.

I'm not trying to be a downer, I just feel that prolonged use of something like that could have negative effects. But then again, I could be wrong.

-Justin

That is a good point. I will probably put it on a 10 or 15 to test. But I would assume they will be light. But when I test it, I will definitely let you know!

Mike

Carl_in_Florida

I was in HD and there is a smaller version of the regent with a clip-on attachment. There is also an attachment for a stake to put in the ground, but that is less usefull for us.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that weight won't be an issue. If it's being made specifically for aquaria then it will likely be made of realatively light aluminum. Take those bell pendants for example. The fixture is really light (and yes they do come in DE as well as SE).

Oh yeah, I would definitely expect the ballast to be remote. Placeing it ina compact fixture with the bulb would cause all kinds of heat issues.

Archived